« Home | Too much exclusive contracting, and not enough rea... » | Defining terrorism in the comics world » | Installed Haloscan commenting options » | If they think there's a problem, why don't they sp... » | A mainstream columnist's swipe at Civil War's detr... » | DC follows Marvel by letting propaganda company ab... » | An online comic taken down because of death threat... » | The flaccid outlines of a comic book adaptation of... » | Topps plummets to Bottoms » | Funny Mallard Fillmore strip about DC's steps with... » 

Monday, August 07, 2006 

"So tell me Joss, how much did DC pay you to write that Identity Crisis trade intro?"

Almost slipped under my radar, but, seems that Joss Whedon of Buffy fame added himself to the list of showbiz persona without an ounce of morale.

I cannot bring myself to link directly to the Meltzer website; I'll just link to the Google search results, but, here's what turns up on the text results of said search:
"did we mention it has an introduction by Joss Whedon? We're serious! No lie!"
Alas, no.

It's actually become hilarious by now. The writer-producer of a TV show and a few other items where women can handle themselves in dangerous situations, goes along and more or less contradicts his past work with an introduction to Identity Crisis that could be so glossing over of the miniseries' own vile sexism, I'm glad I haven't read what he had to say. Even Chris Claremont hasn't stooped as low at that. I do wonder though, how much did they pay Whedon to write it?

I feel discouraged from reading and watching Fray, Firefly, Serenity, and other things he's written over the past decade ever again and now decidedly tossed under a question mark, and, as someone who's taken more hard-lined standings in the past year, I'll sure have a very hard time believing that Whedon is any more sincere than countless other people in entertainment. I may know where to find an old Chicago Tribune interview where he said something that sounded almost too easy an excuse for dropping comic books. If I find it, I'll have something to say about that as well.

Whedon, I'm ashamed of you. I watched Buffy many times, much as I do find its type of violence questionable even for prime-time TV, and now, here you go and made a mockery out of your work by writing an intro for a book that makes even the episode where Buffy's mentor injected her with a chemical that weakened her muscles as part of a test by the secret vampire-tracking society seem almost kind by comparison. No matter how you write (and film) your upcoming Wonder Woman movie project,* I, if not everyone, will have a hard time taking it seriously simply due to the fact that you more or less legitimized a book that makes WW look like an apathetic airhead, and even a drone doing the bidding of Green Arrow to interrogate Slipknot. You're supposedly doing WW a real tribute, yet you nullify it? Please.

Gives a whole new meaning to the dumbing down of showbiz.

* One has only to wonder if the Princess of Power's costume will be muted in color, not unlike the way the Man of Steel's was in Superman Returns. That would mean that a female patriotette is being dealt a blow to match that of her male patriot counterpart's own receiving of a blow.

Open trackback parties: 7 Deadly Sins, Customer Servant, The Mudville Gazette, Point Five, Samantha Burns, Wizbang.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.