« Home | LA Times fawns over "The First Genuine Middle East... » | Don't be fooled by this little "double-trick" » | Since when did a chimpanzee alone make the book wo... » | James Doohan, RIP » | Jim Aparo, RIP » | All about Comic-Con » | The Brave and the Bold is back » | Review the book before making it a pick of the mon... » | Anti-war positions expressed in a children's comic... » | Mr. Zad looks at FF-related material » 

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 

Did Avi Arad stoop to propaganda?

I remember when once, the Jerusalem Report interviewed a Jewish born TV animation producer, who even took the time to start making needless political statements. Now, the same magazine goes along and publishes an interview with Avi Arad, a former soldier in the Six Day War and now marketing manager for Marvel's movie projects, who goes along and makes a needless analogy, or, if anything, one that the magazine itself would like to hear. What does he say?
"Magneto signifies the extreme right [wing] of any minority," Arad told The Report. "I would look, ideologically, more to Jabotinsky and Begin than to Ben-Gurion. Magneto to me is not a villain. But he becomes more like Kahane the more frustrated he is with the way the world is approaching the ones who are different. Kahane," he adds, referring to the late Meir Kahane, founder of the Jewish Defense League and leader of an Israeli political party that advocated the expulsion of Arabs, "is where you start out with the right intentions and you end up going off the deep end. With Magneto, that was a very specific reason to push his heritage," as it formed a basis for giving the character his own starring vehicle.
Does he really? Since when did "right" and "left" bear relevance to such a subject? And where did he come to this conclusion that Magneto would represent Jabotinsky, who actually had favorable views towards the Arabs in many cases, no matter what people like him are trying to imply, or even Begin?

I do wonder what Arad would say if he knew that Jabotinsky was one of the templates for Professor Charles Xavier, the X-Men's own leader, along with Martin Luther King and Michael Collins? I guess he'd probably say nothing.

I can only hope that Arad was only misquoted, which doesn't seem too unlikely of such a magazine, because otherwise, he's simply not on my list of favorites.

Then again, recalling how he gave Stan Lee the shaft 3 years ago, when he tried to make it sound as if Spider-Man was more a committee creation than the work of but a few good men, Stan the Man Lee being the main one, I suppose it isn't too farfetched that he'd do something like this, regardless of whether or not he alienates the audience.

If anything, this is yet another entertainment related case in which politics are needlessly shoved in when they didn't have to be. What does the Jerusalem Report have to gain or accomplish by airing this drivel? It certainly doesn't help Arad, that's for sure.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.