« Home | Waid's Irredeemable new storytelling » | Stan Lee's Time Jumper » | It looks like a wrong has been righted » | Wally West gets most votes in Newsarama Flash poll » | Dixon on the problems with crossovers » | McDuffie unhappy with his own work on Justice League » | So Ms. Marvel is "dead" » | Article on artist Cory Hamscher » | Birmingham's Imagicon 2009 » | Vertigo to publish Muslim convert's propaganda » 

Sunday, April 05, 2009 

Nashua Telegraph insults patriotism

The Nashua Telegraph writes about a short-lived comic published in the mid-60s called Blazing Combat, and inserts some subtle lines that attack patriotism:
For those of you who have never heard of it, "Blazing Combat" was a black-and-white, Time-size comics magazine by Warren Publishing in 1965 and 1966. It lasted only four issues, which wasn't because of lack of quality. Its run was truncated because it focused on the human costs and emotional ramifications of war instead of the simplistic jingoism found in regular comics at the time.
Whoops, I think that's going a bit far there to use a word that's a negative translation of patriotism. And why do I get the idea there could be more to this comic than meets the eye, and that it might be an anti-war diatribe of the times?

There is another thing here that raises my eyebrows though:
That ticked off the U.S. military (which denied Warren access to military newsstands) and the American Legion (which pressured distributors to deny access to regular newsstands). Starved of distribution, sitting on loading docks with no destination, "Blazing Combat" died a quick death.
If they suppressed distribution, that was wrong, mainly because it only plays into the hands of apologists and the lefties today. This is a surprising case, I admit, but I suspect there's still a lot more here that's not being told about the story itself. And spinning it as an alternative to "jingoism" is really tasteless.

This same column also brings up a bit more about Mark Waid's Irredeemable, that tells a little bit more and explains why I find the premise so uncomfortable:
"In superhero comics, pretty much everyone who's called upon to put on a cape is, at heart, emotionally equipped for the job," Waid said. "I reject that premise."

'Irredeemable' is, in a way, my third and most complex chapter on the cost of superheroics – a pulp adventure tale of horror exploring how the lessons we learn about right and wrong as children can become warped and twisted when challenged by the realities of the adult world."
Why does that highlighted text sound so reminiscent of "the cost of war"? Is this some kind of an anti-war message shrouded in the disguise of a "superhero" tale? If anything, it just sounds like another postmodern teardown of superhero escapism, and almost similar to Warren Ellis' Black Summer.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.