« Home | Wisconsin exhibition appears to be serving as a me... » | Nation Valley News fawns over Bendis' Legion destr... » | Double the bad news comes about the upcoming Flash... » | A biased "review" of a graphic novel about Kent State » | Conan's muscles watered down, and Hulk still reduc... » | Christian Cooper uses his NY Central Park encounte... » | Chuck Austen comes back to comicdom » | Will Busiek make any mention of Mary Jane in his n... » | DC's "Wonder Women of History" excludes the conser... » | Crowdfunding draws big names, and even some fishy ... » 

Friday, September 18, 2020 

New specialty store opens in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, run by a Spider-fan

Moose Jaw Today reported on the opening of a specialty store in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan, by a veteran collector who once ran another store over a decade ago. And what impresses me about this article is that the manager's got a much better idea of which character to cite as his favorite superhero:
Rob Hoskins has been a comic book guy since he was a kid, but now he’s about to become The Comic Book Guy here in Moose Jaw once his new comics and pop culture store opens next month.

The Comic Book Guy Pop Culture Shop, opening on Oct.1 at 264 River St. West, is a new passion project for Hoskins who has been a fan of comics for years.

“I grew up with comics, Spider-Man was my favourite,” admitted Hoskins. “I’ve been collecting stuff since then, and I actually have comics that I have had when I was a kid, from the sixties.” [...]

And if after all that, there’s still room for a display shelf to show off his own personal collection of Spider-Man issues, then Hoskins will be even happier.
I am so glad to find somebody emphasizing a superhero other than Batman while talking to the press. Though Peter Parker's origin was built on the tragedy of losing his uncle Ben, the tone and direction of Spidey was far from emphasizing massive darkness like the Masked Manhunter's is, and Spidey's world going forward had more of a sense of humor to boot (certainly in better years pre-2000). After what seemed like only so many articles building up Batman all over the place, it's relieving to find somebody willing to talk about a superhero other than Batman, and whose world wasn't built on as much darkness as Bruce Wayne's is.

I'd still appreciate it if a store manager were to emphasize Superman just as much in discussion while running a business (and come to think of it, whatever's the best stories in independents today), but for now, this is definitely a step in a more inspiring direction for citing favorite superheroes. And I do wish the manager good luck with his current venture, in a time when specialty stores are, unfortunately, losing business because of the decline in story quality.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.