« Home | Geoff Johns continues to overload on violence » | Ted Kord alive again? » | Spirit of an Artistic Pioneer: New documentary abo... » | "Anti-militarism" comic produced in San Francisco » | European Union decides to glorify themselves with ... » | Awkward story ideas of yore that shouldn't be done... » | In GL: Rebirth, Johns fumbled with issues of viole... » | Bendis pays lip service to Wizard's own lip service » | An anti-Semitic and racist comic book in Korea » | Interview with cartoonist Al Scaduto » 

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 

Nothing new at the zoo, other than some possible anti-war mishmash

In the past few months, I'd read a bit of news about Brian Vaughan's "Pride of Baghdad", said to be based on a true incident of when four lions escaped from the zoo in Baghdad during the US Army's shelling of Saddam's gang there. Of course, I had no idea what to make of it until now, not just because I couldn't find any copies of it, but also because the newspapers that spoke about it predictably wouldn't offer any deeper insight.

Now, however, having stumbled upon the following entry from Comic Overload, I'm beginning to get the suspicion that Vaughan's book is anything but Animal Farm:
the end of the book feels like Vaughan is trying to make a statement without really making one.

[...]

Part of me feels like the book is Vaughan’s own commentary on war; that it is bloody and random. Another part of me feels as though it’s Vaughan’s disgust with our own US military, as the murder of the lions was portrayed pretty graphically and then the panel of the US Flag badge shown prominently afterwards. The dialogue of these soldiers seemed to indicate otherwise though. Like I said, I was confused.
Very interesting. It does sound like a cleverly and carefully concealed anti-war statement blaming the US for enabling the beasts to break out. Plus, the end of the book features the following text:
In April of 2003, four lions escaped the Baghdad Zoo during the bombing of Iraq

The starving animals were eventually shot and killed by U.S soldiers

There were other casualties as well.
Hmm. Something very odd about that part too. It's not clear to me - not at this stage anyway - what Vaughan's referring to when he speaks about the "other casualties". Does he mean any innocent civilians in the city? Or does he mean Saddam's own army? Or, does he mean - gasp! - the prisoners in Abu Graib?

See, that's what's disturbing about this cryptic text - as with quite a few other books of this sort, the writer isn't making clear what exactly his complaints are about, resulting in something akin to moral equivalency, one of the worst forms of psychological warfare this world has ever known. Moral equivalency is by far one of the cleverest ways of covering ones tracks in making a moonbat statement, because you can't tell if what they're up to is good or bad. It's a perfect blur of the differences between good and evil, or even the simple colors of black and white.

And pondering all this, I have to wonder if Vaughan really is writing a camouflaged anti-war message, using animals as a metaphor for other, more deeper, things in Iraq.

I notice that Vaughan also signed copies of his book at the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn, Michigan, aka Dearbornistan. (Yet there's no mention if he ever did the same at a museum or any site dedicated to America's soldiers.) And the AANM has connections to ACCESS (Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services) and its leader Ismael Ahmed, who are anti-Israel and support Hezbollah and Hamas. Not to mention that they even once had an anti-Israel exhibit featured there courtesy of Najah Bazzy, a nurse who declared in 2004 that she was "embarrassed to be an American." And Vaughan goes to spend his book-signing time over there?

All this tells me that my concerns that Pride of Baghdad could be an anti-war statement condemning the war in Iraq could have something to them, and that Vaughan is probably not a writer whose works I'd want to waste time on.

And it certainly does explain why I'm glad that Saddam was sent to hang from the rope for his sins!

Open trackbacks: Pirates' Cove, Pursuing Holiness, The Trouble With Angels.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.