« Home | US students learning how to draw manga style » | Tim Roth may play Emil Blonsky in Hulk movie followup » | A fawning job, and a possible recycling » | Comics for literacy » | Did Chris Claremont chicken out when focusing on a... » | The question of if comics can be saved » | The usurpers » | Mark Waid, too, begins to lose my respect » | Eighth Comic Book Carnival » | Frank Miller gets it. DC/Warner doesn't » 

Saturday, May 12, 2007 

Spartanburg newspaper sugarcoats 52

Or at least talks about it in fluff-coated terms. From the Spartanburg Herald-Journal of South Carolina, here's something that seems to think that turning Booster Gold into a serious character is actually good:
DC Comics' popular and exciting "52" series has come to a close, with a one-time joke of a hero saving the entire universe - more than the entire universe, actually - by throwing a football-shaped robot containing a moth-like menace across the lines of space and time to his ancestor, a man born hundreds of years earlier.
Would that be Skeets they're talking about? I guess so. But from all I've gathered over the past year, it sounded more like they disdained Skeets. Wow. No affection for a delightfully funny robot.
It's been one heck of a ride.
I wouldn't bet on it.
And it has catapulted Booster Gold, a former Justice League member whose only power seemed to be comic relief, to superstardom, proving that - at least for a little while - he was able to fill in during Superman's absence and be a true hero.

In the final installment, Gold and Rip Hunter, the time master, bounce around a series of alternate realities trying to foil a mutated Mr. Mind, who is devouring pockets of space and time.

During the trip, Gold gets to see his best friend, the late Blue Beetle, one last time, one of the many touching scenes from this yearlong piece of comic-book history.

Another is the final fate of Ralph Dibny, whom I hope we'll see more of.
All fluff-coated statements, I'm afraid. I really doubt that even the new series they announced for Booster, or even one they announced for Infinity Inc, which doesn't even involve any of the original members, will do so well, or not for long.

I do hope we'll see more of Ralph, but, I want it to be in the living world, and not as a ghost and a serious character with no real humor involved.

And when they talk about Countdown, they even go so far as to sensationalize the following:
From what we know about "Countdown," it will be steeped in Jack Kirby's "Fourth World," featuring characters like the New Gods.

It will tackle the seduction of Mary Marvel and explain why Jimmy Olsen must die.
Although they may be talking about the new multiverse created by "Mr. Mind", I still find this insulting, mainly because the newspaper seems to think that this is what's newsworthy, and not any characters who've been restored to life, which could include Ice, for example. Now that I think of it, I have yet to see a newspaper article actually saying something about the possible return of Tora Olafsdotter (I hope), and not about negative things like Mary Marvel being seduced by evil insanity and Jimmy Olsen perishing.

Another really dismaying mainstream newspaper article that offers nothing truly inspiring.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.