« Home | Student Operated Press talks about DC's women, but... » | Under Straczynski, Mighty Thor could become a migh... » | I wonder if we'll be seeing more like this? » | Happy 4th of July » | If Supergirl #20-21 are crossover tie-ins, it may ... » | We don't need more Eclipso » | Revivals in name only » | Marvel's latest marketing trick » | The Tenth Comic Book Carnival » | AP Wire blabbers on and on about Capt. America's "... » 

Saturday, July 07, 2007 

But what about the fictional ladies?

The Colorado Springs Gazette spoke with Louise Simonson, who'd spent at least two decades as a writer in the field, about DC Comics Covergirls, which she's an editor of, but I can't help but wonder if some of what she says here is being used by the newspaper as a superficial apology for what misogyny exists there today. At the end of the article:
Just as superhero comics appeal largely to male readers, they’re also created largely by men. But Simonson, who now focuses most of her attention on writing children’s books, said she never felt out of place in comics.

“Back when I was working on Superman, we were treated as a team. I don’t think I was treated any different from the guys.”
But what about the women of the DC Universe? And the Marvel Universe? Any woman who'd worked in the comics medium over the years could surely be diplomatic for the sake of good relations with otherwise appalling people, or the writer, whom I'm not forgetting glossed over Identity Crisis, chose to water down the whole article. No wonder I can't help but ask if this column was meant to obscure the contempt for women among comics publishers and editors, and it certainly does avoid the meatier stuff.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.