« Home | January sales for ASM were even less than previous... » | John Ostrander sinks into "liberal guilt" » | Will Justice League movie producers omit America f... » | Where have the heroes gone? » | Simply hilarious: Brother Eye absorbs Apokolips » | DiDio's vapid statements about the multiverse » | Winick never took part in the 1988 Jason Todd poll » | Could it be? The Dibnys are back? » | Comics for teaching about robotics » | The poisonous politics of Black Summer » 

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 

Meet Charles Sobietti, anti-jihad comic book hero

Jamie Glazov at Front Page Magazine interviews Darius LaMonica about how he and Sleet thought to write Matamoros. LaMonica mentions something Sleet alluded to that I agree with:
FP: What made you produce Matamoros? Tell us exactly what it is about.

LaMonica: My co-writer, Sleet, actually made the decision with an off-hand remark. Last year we were having a discussion about how popular culture has ignored the war with radical Islam and our talk turned to the death of Steve Rogers, Marvel Comics' original Captain America. Sleet was particularly annoyed at this event and said to me "You're a comic book fan. Why don't we write our own comic?" So we wrote a script and I decided to contact the popular political cartoon team of Cox & Forkum for an artist referral since neither Sleet nor I can draw. John Cox read the script and really enjoyed it so he decided to come on board with the project instead of referring us to another artist.
I think what Sleet was bothered about, and rightfully so, is how the death of hero who could fight what Charles Sobietti, the hero of Matamoros, is now, was considered a story worth writing about by the MSM. Just what makes the death of Capt. America more important than the real problems that could be focused upon, yet which Marvel, with its current management, are unwilling to work on?

As of this writing, I tried looking through some of the major comic sites, such as Newsarama, to see if they had anything to say about Matamoros, and guess what? Nada. It's been almost 3 months since the book first came out, and none have said anything. That shows just how badly biased they are. If one of the leading messages of comic books is to show courage and fortitude, today's mainstream news sources dedicated to comic books are really blowing it badly.

I'm very glad that LaMonica and Sleet, as well as John Cox, thought of doing this project, and I hope that in the future, it will lead to more stories like it in comic books.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.