« Home | Enough variant covers already » | Another sad loss: Jim Mooney » | Wash. Times columnist goes gushy over "Lightning S... » | Another weird Marvel "plant"? » | Manga artists in the info biz » | More signs that Teen Titans is becoming less appea... » | Possible sales inflation scam detected » | Give Chuck Dixon another gold star » | Anime ambassador » | Another death in the DCU annouced, another problem... » 

Thursday, April 03, 2008 

Cap with a gun does seem troubling

Cranky Old Man's Comic Blog recently wrote about Bucky's taking up the role of Captain America, with a handgun in this case. And he makes a few good points, such as, while Cap may have carried a gun during the Golden Age, the difference is that he was fighting a war as well. So unless he does battle with some Saddam type villains, which I doubt will happen just now, there's really not much to this gun-toting take on the Star-Spangled Avenger.

And now that I think of it, somehow, there is something rather disturbing about seeing Cap blasting away with a gun, even if he only shoots to injure. Maybe it's how it reduces some of the imaginativeness in depicting a guy using a frisbee-style shield to combat the baddies. The pistol does get in the way of that. Cap fought plenty of enemies in a serious vein years before while using his shield, and it didn't hamper the seriousness these past stories could include.

But I guess the biggest, most troubling problem here is the thought that they may have gotten rid of Steve Rogers because they didn't like the super-soldier serum premise. I wonder if that's why they made Steve bite it? I don't know, but if they did, I most certainly don't approve of their getting rid of Steve out of PC-ness.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.