« Home | Second Star Trek movie adapted to comics more than... » | More Wizard staffers have been let go » | Newsarama readers actually like the new Batman & R... » | It's not the end of the Crisis at DC » | Colorado Gazette fawns over "Obama comics sensation" » | Kyle Baker may be involved in "Reborn" miniseries » | "Iron Patriot Acts" is Marvel's next needless cros... » | Thirty-Third Comic Book Carnival » | Ending of Oracle: The Cure makes me want to reach ... » | Comic workshops in Athens, Alabama » 

Sunday, June 14, 2009 

No, Waid and Van Lente, you and Marvel still can't fool us

Marvel is once again trying to fool pro-marriage fans of Spider-Man, by bringing back Mary Jane Watson into ASM with issue 601...but still not married in their current depiction. In this interview Newsarama did with Mark Waid and co-writer Fred Van Lente (via Spider-Man Crawl Space), they talk about how they're bringing back Mary Jane into the mix, but, there's problems, such as:
NRAMA: What are things going to be like between Peter and MJ now?

FVL: Mary Jane returns to Peter's life as the ex. They've had this long-term relationship, they were very close and intimate, but then they broke up for reasons that remain mysterious. But now MJ is back and she's back in New York permanently.

NRAMA: So she's permanently part of Spider-Man's life? Even past this storyline?

FVL: She's permanently part of the Spider-Man cast again, but she's got a very different role than she's ever had before. She's the ex, and while she still cares about Peter a lot, like most exes, she's acutely aware of all his flaws. And so it's a really unique way to use Mary Jane and to have a really different Mary Jane/Peter dynamic. As somebody who has read Spider-Man for years – and obviously I'm biased – but I think it's a really interesting way to use the character.
Oooooohhh, I see. So it's still the same old act. At least it tells why there's no reason to waste time on the 600th issue, which probably furthers that shock tactic affair between Aunt May and JJJ's father. Interesting how Van Lente just says "ex" and not ex-girlfriend/wife; the ambiguity must be deliberate. But if they're still going by what they established with One More Day, which they practically hint at there, that's reason enough to continue a firm boycott.

I wish I could say that I at least like the J. Scott Campbell cover for ASM 601, but when I realized what it implies, it lost all appeal.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.