« Home | An Italian celebration of Batman's 70th » | The writer who only made things worse for the Puni... » | Concept comic cars » | Dr. Light still depicted tastelessly, even as a zo... » | Manhwa might surpass manga » | Roy Harper gets gored » | Popular Mechanics interviews author of Physics of ... » | Whilce Portacio sugarcoats/downplays the flaws of ... » | Anime declining behind the scenes » | Manga series on wine continues to make waves » 

Monday, December 07, 2009 

Ms. Marvel's series is ending

The new series starring Carol Danvers is coming to an end in February, and Newsarama is interviewing its writer, Brian Reed, about it. And one of the things they say here:
Nrama: We've talked about this before, but looking back at Ms. Marvel's growth since issue #1, and there has been a lot of growth for this character through all her ordeals during Civil War and Secret Invasion and everything, do you think you grew as a writer along with her?

Reed: Oh yeah. I stumbled backwards into getting Ms. Marvel, and I thank Andy Schmidt for that to no end. And with every issue, I've learned something else about my job. I'm to the point where, when I write other series, everything I'm putting in those books, I learned from Carol Danvers. Those first half dozen to a dozen issues were just, how do you write a script and get it out the door on time every month? Then, once I got that down, it was how to make that story work better visually and structurally. It was on-the-job training, and I couldn't be more thankful that Marvel paid me for it. But yeah, it's a much better book now than it was then.
Not really. Any character growth they speak of went out the window pretty quickly once Ms. Marvel got stuck in all those crossovers since Civil War and Secret Invasion. Those crossovers are exactly what spoiled any character growth, or chance for it, as the characterization given to her at the time was just as bad as it was for Tony Stark. And if they were going to replace Carol Danvers with Karla Sofen/Moonstone, even for just a couple issues, that too makes it hard to believe they were really trying to make her grow.

What's really sad is that Ms. Marvel's newer series had to debut at a time when Joe Quesada is EIC, and boomeranged back to crossovers they said they were trying to move away from. Carol Danvers is one of those characters with potential to mine, but with people like whom they have in charge now, all that potential was wasted.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.