« Home | Capt. America movie sequel to be set in modern times » | Why making Carol Danvers the new Captain Marvel ma... » | Sequart disappointed with redo of DC's Capt. Marvel » | Y: The Last Man demonizes Republican women » | Forbes sugarcoats Ed Brubaker's run on Capt. America » | Max Lord is still a villain » | Greg Rucka simply didn't get it when he worked on ... » | Advertisements in comics are vanishing » | Brian Azzarello demonizes the Amazons » | Just what "emotional" connection does Brian Bendis... » 

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 

Morgan Spurlock's Comicon documentary isn't objective

NPR wrote about leftist documentarian Morgan Spurlock's Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope, and says it's pretty superficial:
You'd think the rabble-rouser responsible for Super-Size Me and Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden? would be inclined to explore the more troubling aspects of the Con; it stands to reason that the same Spurlock who rallied against corporate control of American diets would cast a jaundiced eye toward an event that's been co-opted by the entertainment industry.
Does this mean that Spurlock doesn't have the courage to be objective about any of the deeper problems facing comics today, nor how the Comicon itself is hardly about comics anymore? I guess so. It may be nice to make a valentine to pop culture and art, but honestly, that's still no excuse for failing to get to the bottom of why what was once a great place for the art form and medium might one day no longer be, and fans may no longer have something to enjoy.

(On a related note, how odd that Spurlock may have had a problem with "corporate control " of diets but probably doesn't have a problem with political control of the same. Could that flaw of his have anything to do with his inability to lead an objective view of the comics medium? Good question.)

Labels:

I could go for this to some degree. I don't like how the whole thing's been turned into some lame Hollywood promotional fest, and the video game companies and blah blah. I like good games and good comics, but overall 'nerd culture'- ugh. The last show I went to was still pretty comic-oriented, but their guests were really getting out there, people from G-whatever TV and some crappy internet comedy site. Ah, c'mon!

Just give me comic dealers and guests (preferably not Matt Fraction), not this slick Vegas Disneyland marketing crud. Toss in a Star Trek guy if you really want to, but stick with old-fashioned simplicity.

it is sad how they've become mainly a promo fest for Hollywood and hardly even about comics anymore. Here in Minnesota, I don't even go to the local comic book festival, but that's mostly due to the fact that I don't have the money.

Carl

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.