« Home | Joe Hill and Ron Marz continue their rants against... » | SDCC becomes a platform for politics » | Chuck Dixon gives a little history of Spoiler, who... » | Who knew some readers were fine with Gambit still ... » | Even leftist graphic novelists aren't immune to Is... » | Brian Bendis has also voiced his hostility to Orso... » | DC's prices have gone up to 4 dollars » | If the Arrow series depicts Jean Loring even remot... » | Green Arrow Lego figures being given out at SDCC » | George Perez goes exclusive with Boom Studios » 

Monday, July 22, 2013 

Andrew Garfield's flavorless comments about Spidey

I almost missed this news of Amazing Spider-Man star Andrew Garfield's disgusting blather about what if Spider-Man were gay, or Mary Jane were a boy (via Cinema Blend). He said:
[...] "I was kind of joking, but kind of not joking about MJ,” he tells EW. “And I was like, ‘What if MJ is a dude?’ Why can’t we discover that Peter is exploring his sexuality? It’s hardly even groundbreaking!…So why can’t he be gay? Why can’t he be into boys?”

Garfield even has an actor in mind: “I’ve been obsessed with Michael B. Jordan since The Wire. He’s so charismatic and talented. It’d be even better—we’d have interracial bisexuality!” The star has clearly suggested a sexually flexible Spidey to his director, Marc Webb, as well.
Very sad. But then, I didn't find his reboot of Spidey very enjoyable when I watched it a year ago anyway. I guess it's because I already know the story of how Spidey came to be, own 3 paperback Masterworks archives of the first Spidey tales from the Silver Age, and I'd seen the earlier versions with Tobey Maguire, so by the time Garfield's redo with the Lizard came around, it long ceased to have any excitement for me.

He may have been joking, but it's not a funny one, and won't impress Spider-fans long alienated since Joe Quesada obliterated the Spider-marriage. Odd how he admits it's not groundbreaking - it's just a sick, dismal cliche with no morale.

Labels: , , ,

LOL ... make MJ a guy? I say "Let them." Nothing would be better than to watch a corporate giant die an excruciating death because it worshiped political correctness just a bit too much.

Garfield should keep his mouth shut and focus on promoting his movie. Spider-Man never has been and never should be gay. Doesn't Marvel already have such heroes, like Northstar? It's kind of like a blogger named Furious D recently noted, in regards to the current obsession with changing a while straight male character into a minority, trying to change a main character like Spidey into that shows they don't have much faith in the already-existing minority characters.

I heard that even though they cast Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane, they cut her from ASM2.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.