« Home | "But that doesn't mean a crossover was needed to l... » | A Marz tweet against the Tea Party » | Why must Supergirl become an adult on TV? » | Wired's pretentious Batbook recommendations » | A slapdash take on Superman's reporter history » | How much does Matthew Sturges value his own words? » | Marz and Zircher care about Persepolis » | A Titans TV show wouldn't work if Batman Forever's... » | UK Metro writer defends sexiness and strength for ... » | More liberal bias by Patrick Zircher » 

Sunday, September 28, 2014 

The speculator's syndrome in a screencap

Here's a screenshot of a retweet by Greg Pak of a picture from somebody who bought eleven copies of the same 2nd issue of a Storm miniseries he wrote:
I'll give the guy credit for not being coy to admit he's a collector at all costs, but that's as far as I can go. Just look at that, ten with the same cover illustration, and one more with a variant. If each copy costs 4 dollars, that would amount to as many as forty-four dollars spent in total. Doesn't this guy have anything better to spend his money on, like a Marvel Masterworks collection of the first 10 or so issues of the 1975 revival for X-Men, where Storm first debuted? I own a paperback copy of that myself, and one copy is all I need, because I'm in this for the story merit, not the alleged fortune stemming from the speculator market.

Cover prices aside, Pak just retweeted this without any misgivings on the speculator's buying 11 issues and not leaving anything for anyone else to buy and read. Honestly, should he be this accepting of somebody who thinks this is one day going to net a fortune when the market is losing value every year? Some older pamphlets may rise in value when a movie based on their tale premieres in theaters, but it goes down again the year after. And I don't see these Storm miniseries copies gaining much lasting value either.

The lesson we can take from this is that the industry doesn't just suffer from speculators spending a lot of money all on the same products. It also suffers from the complacency of writers and artists who don't argue against this mentality that's turning comicdom into a joke. How do they expect to find many newcomers or keep the remaining audience for long if anybody thinks those still around comprise little more than just obsessive collectors?

Labels: , , ,

Just another example of the current trend. Not only are comic book sales a fraction of what they were in the Golden and Silver Ages, but even today's relatively low sales are artificially inflated, because of speculators buying multiple copies.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.