« Home | Chris Sims even made one-dimensional put-downs of ... » | Herb Trimpe passes away at 75 » | Suddenly, CBR (and Time) gives American Sniper mor... » | Jurgens tweets about Hilary Clinton campaign and O... » | Doonesbury's creator turns to victim-blaming » | What SJWs did to the sci-fi industry, they also di... » | Why does he think more people would talk about a s... » | Are superheroines really rising in recognition? » | New Bloodshot comments on gun control » | Convergence features ideas plenty hated about the ... » 

Friday, April 17, 2015 

Why it took 2 decades for Dark Horse to try Barb Wire again

The Dark Horse editor who created the futuristic lady bounty hunter, Chris Warner, was interviewed by Bleeding Cool about the relaunch of Barb Wire, though he doesn't give exact reasons why:
William Wright: The obvious question everyone wants to know is, why bring back Barb Wire now?

Chris Warner: Well, now is the only time we could bring it back, since we can’t change the past, and the future isn’t here yet. There is no better time for now than the present. I dunno, just seemed like a good time to do a fun book and kick some ass. Over the years I’ve wished that comic books were more like comic books and not the deadly serious, overwritten, postmodern, continuity-strangled torture chambers so many have become. I read a typical mainline comic book these days and I want to jump off a bridge, which interferes with all my other reasons for wanting to jump off a bridge.
He avoids explaining the exact reasons, but I'm aware of what they really are: the abortive 1996 movie starring former Baywatch starlet Pamela Anderson in the role. It was a movie that opened to negative reception, and tanked at the box office after barely a month, grossing less than a quarter of its approximately $20 million budget. What might've been better suited as a made-for-video production was turned into a theatrical dud. And it must've embarrassed Dark Horse for quite a while, since it took nearly 2 decades for them to try it again. Warner's right, they can't change the past. But with a little work, they can ensure the future will work better for the source material.

I wish Warner well in seeking an audience for his creation today, and I hope the people in charge of Dark Horse won't be turning their products into movies that don't have solid scripting. (In fact, of all the films based on several of their products to date, very few other than The Mask did well, and the 2004 sequel to that film certainly didn't.) On his other points, he's right that mainstream superhero comics have become far too serious, post-modern and overwritten. He's wrong, however, that they became continuity-choked. DC and Marvel threw away all consistency long ago.

Labels:

Tom Brevoort thinks killing terrorists makes you a terrorist.
http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/116640839048/i-think-youre-trying-to-build-an-inescapable#notes

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.