« Home | Neal Adams caves to dhimmitude and liberal guilt m... » | Joss Whedon's quitting his work with Marvel movies » | Darick Robertson doesn't think art is democratic » | A Malaysian commentator isn't impressed with Marve... » | George R.R Martin remains frozen in the 1960s » | Paul Levitz may know some history, but not common ... » | G. Willow Wilson kept up her apologia » | The withering of newspaper strips » | Graeme McMillan sugarcoats the Omega Men remake » | Do they care that there's still censorship madness... » 

Wednesday, January 06, 2016 

A Campbell illustration where Mary Jane is beside Spidey


I found this J. Scott Campbell drawing on Twitter where he draws a portrait that Spider-fans for starters could appreciate: Mary Jane Watson is alongside Spider-Man (or partly below him, if you take the upside-down angle into account), in a picture featuring several notable Marvel cast members. I'll have to hand it to Campbell; his tribute to a vision true Spider-fans support is admirable. Yet at the same time, I think it's regrettable he's doing any work for them at a time when they're run by such truly awful people. In fact, I remember George Perez once drew a cover for DC on Superman a few years ago, for a politically motivated story with Islam that was replaced. Even if ideology had nothing to do with Perez's agreement to draw that cover in the first place, it was still very sad he'd lend his talents to so much as a coverscan on a story that's unworthy of his time. In many ways, it's the same situation with Campbell - a man of admirable talent who knows how to converse gracefully, without alienating potential fans, yet he makes some very questionable or downright embarrassing choices for who and what to work for. He recently did a variant cover, apparently for the Muslim Ms. Marvel book, and even if it doesn't represent a position, it's very disappointing he'd draw a Carol Danvers picture for that. (The armor-style outfit she's drawn wearing - originally seen in the mid-2000s - is not the most appealing design I've ever seen either.)

In this day and age, when there's just so many companies where Perez and Campbell's talents could be put to better use, it's too bad they're wasting them on some of the worst output from the Big Two, at a time when they've been hijacked by people with no respect for the creations they're now in charge of. After all, it's clear that under Quesada/Alonso, Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker's marriage will never be restored.

Labels: , , , , ,

Awesome work. Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share.

After looking at a few of the blog articles on your site, I seriously appreciate your way of
writing it. I saved it as a favorite to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the
near future. Take a look at my website as well and tell me what do you think.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.