« Home | Fishy pictures from Doomsday Clock » | DC just hired the wrong woman to write WW » | One of Marvel's worst writers is now working for A... » | Two interviews with Bob Layton » | "Woke" propaganda in an article about Ant-Man and ... » | Brian Bendis thinks the world's looking awful from... » | Coates pretends it's not just his personal politics » | Steve Ditko, RIP » | SDCC being taken over by feminism? » | Marvel still won't let go of Captain America's Hyd... » 

Friday, July 13, 2018 

Mary Jane Watson may be back in Spider-Man, but does that alone guarantee story quality will be better?

I suppose this is good news in one sense, and it is something many purists, myself included, really wanted to happen:
Dejected, Peter goes to the one person he knows he can trust with the truth about Octavius and his paper – his ex-wife, Mary Jane Watson. Peter tells her “We’ve been through so much together. Survived so much together. And I know that on my end at least, if you hadn’t been there - I wouldn’t have survived it... I need you.”

Mary Jane replies, “We’re in this together Peter. We always have been,” and the pair embrace and kiss.
I looked at this thread on Spider-Man Crawl Space, and there's positive reactions. The artwork looks impressive too.

But are they actually married again? I suppose it's asking a bit much, but I do believe it's entirely possible to retcon away bad ideas and restore good ones to the fullest without acting like it's impossible.

Let's also remember writer Nick Spencer is one of the architects of Secret Empire, one of the most offensive modern stories doing a terrible disfavor to Captain America by far, and even if we have to be grateful a notorious mistake's been undone, he still owes an apology for his disturbingly crass attitude towards superhero fans the other year, if he wants us to think he's repentant. Otherwise, we'll certainly have to separate art from artist. Also, let's not forget Joe Quesada is still a leading member of their main staff, and he doesn't belong in the company, nor does he deserve the job he's had. I get the feeling he's even less repentant than Spencer is for all the trouble he caused, what with the constant flood of crossovers that continued after he passed on his EIC role to Axel Alonso, and Dan Slott doesn't belong in Marvel either if he's similarly unapologetic for his own embarrassments.

And while Mary Jane's return to form is positive, that doesn't mean there won't be badly written stories turning up somewhere down the line. For now, it's clear Marvel's staff realized they were in dire straits and needed something to give them a boost, and I guess we'll have to consider this C.B. Cebulski's most notable positive step in redeeming Marvel after all the horrors they shoved down everyone's throats. But that still doesn't mean it'll be %100 good news going along, and they have yet to prove they can bring in talented writers/artists/editors who believe in respectable relations with fans.

Another vital step they're going to have to take now is reversing the damage and denigration foisted on Carol Danvers, and restore her to her role as Ms. Marvel, a role which suited her far better. They could even restore Genis-Vell to the role of Capt. Marvel, if it matters. And they'll have to get rid of rabid leftists like Ta-Nehisi Coates, who doesn't deserve to write Black Panther and Capt. America. There's still much to do if they're to prove they can redeem themselves...and assuming they last long enough.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.