« Home | A convention on Italian comicdom » | The Simpsons producers' anti-Trump leanings come t... » | It's embarrassing when a Jewish college organizati... » | Two months of DC will be wasted on replacing the T... » | Warren Ellis' Castlevania cartoon built on politic... » | Bendis is not a reason to want to enter comic reading » | One of Roald Dahl's most ludicrous books is turned... » | Shane Davis and Yanzi Lin's Starlight Cats sets it... » | Inverse's list of whom they consider the best anti... » | Plattsburgh resident builds himself a sizable coll... » 

Monday, October 19, 2020 

Hawaiian comics store closes down

KHON-2 reports that a specialty store located in Hawaii has been forced to close for good because Coronavirus hurt their sales badly:
After more than 30 years of being tucked away in Kaimuki, Gecko Books and Comics marked its final chapter on Oct. 16.

Like many local businesses, this long-time landmark fell victim to the pandemic.

“I’ve been on this block since 1987,” said owner Ted Mays.

For 34 years, Mays has been the go-to for comic books, memorabilia and hobby specialty items. But after more than three decades at the corner of 12th and Mahina Avenue, it is time to close up shop.

“A lot of people were in denial for sure,” he said. “But I think they thought I was gonna do this forever.”

Mays said that his decision to close is a result of a lot of things, from the rising cost of doing business in Hawaii to not seeing his family in a long time. However, he said that the second shutdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic is what ultimately did him in.

“The second shutdown with a 48-hour notice was probably the last nail in the coffin, where I just realized we just took a huge huge financial loss,”
said Mays.
Very sad indeed, and IMO, any publisher who won't market their products by merit is at least partly to blame here. With this store closing, how many more specialty stores are left in the USA? As the closure of a store across the ocean in Hawaii hints, the numbers could be getting even lower.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.