« Home | Would Warner Brothers reject this Kevin Smith adap... » | Nick Spencer ending his Spider-Man run with bad ne... » | DC's superficial anthology supposedly making a sta... » | So Warren Ellis continues to be shunned by the ver... » | Larry Hama implies Snake Eyes should've been creat... » | What's so important about the collectibles market? » | Marvel wastes more resources on a 4th Muslim Ms. M... » | Art Spiegelman's worried about cancel culture, yet... » | Sugarcoated article about Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth » | Polygon's extremely poor take on "Lady Loki" » 

Thursday, July 01, 2021 

With the Corona crisis mostly over, a new Israeli convention opens

Here's a Jerusalem Post article about a new convention taking place in Petach Tikva next week:
With coronavirus restrictions lifting and the culture sector reemerging, Israel’s geek culture aficionados will be able to gather once again for their various conventions and events.

And this time, a new one, Comics-Con, will arrive in Israel for the first time ever, taking place on July 9 at the Petah Tikva Museum of Art.

[...] Israel does have a few geek conventions already, such as I-Con, Olamot and Harucon. However, they are few in number, and Comics-Con is a bit different.

“I-Con is very fantasy- and role playing-focused, Harucon is anime- and Japanese culture-focused, Olamot is a fantasy- and science fiction-focused event,” Salov explained.

“Comics-Con is a comics and pop culture convention. It includes all aspects of geek culture but focuses on mainstream Western culture.”
There's only one thing that bugs me about this. What if the organizers make use of politically correct or morally bankrupt ideas like what we're seeing in the west now, and what I've spoken of at various times before? There may be some okay stuff from Europe, I hope, but if they intend to focus on mainstream US comics and other such products, that's where I'm not optimistic they'll have much to offer that's inspiring. I'd like to think this is something to look forward to, but with the dire artistic situation the US industry sank into, that's why I'm not sure this'll be worth the effort, even if I do want to take a trip to see the art museum in Petach Tikva.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.