« Home | Where the abuse of Roy Thomas' Obsidian first bega... » | Marvel's apologists see nothing wrong with ridding... » | Old news interview with Jerry Siegel sees him conf... » | British publisher acts very impolitely towards Bar... » | Does Spidey still really have audiences in his web? » | Political correctness at a Colorado store » | Dark Horse educates about wildfire safety » | What Film School Rejects considers the "best" of 2021 » | A selective focus upon escapism at a store in Albe... » | The history of racist cartoons published by a Texa... » 

Friday, January 07, 2022 

Todd McFarlane talks about his creative processing

Business Insider interviewed veteran Spawn creator McFarlane about how he decided upon his career, which also included co-creating Venom in the pages of Spider-Man, and some of the conversation centers on the following:
What was your creative process like for creating generational characters like Venom and Spawn?

Venom was a complete accident. Marvel wanted me to draw Spider-Man in a black costume, but I didn't want to because I grew up with him in a red and blue costume.

So we decided to put the black costume on another character. I did some designs, created this big monster, and we went there. I wish I had more happy billion-dollar accidents like that.

I created Spawn when I was in high school. His success — really, I would argue almost all success in any business — is longevity. Longevity can make you part of the conversation for a long time.

When you're early in your career, what you're doing actually matters and people will judge you on each project. Over time, however, they'll judge you on your entire body of work
. For me, that means there's nothing that I could draw now that's going to make my hardcore fan base like me more or less.
Then I hope he recognizes why the Big Two are no longer relevant, and way past the point they should've closed down, if all they're going to do is churn out endless streams of politicized material to serve far-left agendas. Some of this mess has also come at the expense of Venom's longevity, and the stories spotlighting him today are just pointless. Why, quite a few of the artists and writers now working for Marvel/DC are doing so because it's practically become some kind of a safety net for them financially, as well as ideologically. Because they're owned by conglomerates, they must think there's no need to worry what anybody in the readership thinks of their work. That's the problem with nepotism, regrettably enough, and we've long seen the results. And at the end of the interview:
What's your best piece of career advice?

Here's what I know: The person who's going to advocate the most for you is you. But I've met so many people who won't advocate for themselves. So to me it's simple: If you don't give a crap about what you're doing, why should I? You want me to fight harder for you than you're fighting for yourself? Never going to happen.

Every day I have to advocate for my business, and it's a bit of a grind. I got 300 no's before I got my first comic-book job. You have to believe in yourself. Entrepreneurs are fearless.
And corporations are cynical and full of contempt. Does he know a lot of the ideologues at the Big Two these days are part of the crowd who won't advocate for themselves based on merit? If so, I hope McFarlane realizes why it's best to stay away from them if they're that pretentious. Besides, chances are they wouldn't thank him for any advocation on their behalf anyway. Exactly why McFarlane's products may outlast what the Big Two are offering nowadays.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.