« Home | Marvel no longer qualifies for producing Predator ... » | What a biblical scholar thinks of the California c... » | Recent Wolverine/Deadpool story employs gore » | Co-creator of Rick & Morty cartoon arrested for do... » | Scooby Doo's Velma continues to fall victim to for... » | Flash actor Ezra Miller will not serve jail time f... » | MSM outlets believe right-wingers have no valid re... » | Comics based on Dungeons & Dragons could suffer as... » | It'd be a waste of time for Millie the Model to jo... » | Superhero influence slipping away at the box office » 

Thursday, January 19, 2023 

Tidal Wave thinks Brittney Griner's story is worth a comic, despite her anti-American positions

ABC-15 from Arizona reported on a new comic biography about a WNBA player with far-left visions whose background is likely going to be sugarcoated:
Brittney Griner’s story is a layered one. Now, that story is put to paper in the form of a comic book.

TidalWave Comics announced the release of a new addition to its ‘Female Force’ series last week, this one centering on Griner.

“Female Force: Brittney Griner,” written by Michael Frizell, with art by Martin Gimenez, is a 22-page comic book.

Frizell said his team started working on the comic well before she got arrested in Russia. They thought she had an important story to tell: an LGBTQ+ woman of color who found a meteoric rise to fame in the WNBA through her talents.

“She pretty much made a splash for herself in Phoenix, and we thought, wow! This is interesting, and then we started to take a look at her back story, and the publisher, who identifies as LGBTQ said, 'hey, let's do this because, you know, she's really open about who she is as a person,'” Frizell said. “During the research, I found out there's a lot of struggle with her trying to find her identity. So, I thought, this is a great project.”

He said they listened to countless interviews and did research to keep the story as true to her voice as possible.
Just how "true" to her background will it be? Some disturbing revelations about her came up over the past several months, including the following, reported by the Daily Wire (via Pamela Geller):
Russia-imprisoned WNBA star Brittney Griner said in 2020 that the national anthem should not be played before WNBA games and vowed to protest if it was played.

Griner was sentenced this month to nine years in a Russian prison for possession of cannabis oil. Her comments about the anthem resurfaced online after sentencing.

“I honestly feel we should not play the National Anthem during our season,” Griner told AZ Central in 2020. “I think we should take that much of a stand.”

“I don’t mean that in any disrespect to our country,” she said. “My dad was in Vietnam and a law officer for 30 years. I wanted to be a cop before basketball. I do have pride for my country.”

“I’m going to protest regardless,” Griner added. “I’m not going to be out there for the National Anthem. If the league continues to want to play it, that’s fine. It will be all season long, I’ll not be out there. I feel like more are going to probably do the same thing. I can only speak for myself.”
More on the subject at the Federalist points out how a Marine named Paul Whelan, by contrast, continues to be incarcerated in Russia without any fair trial. Griner gives a backhanded comment about the Anthem, all stemming mostly from identity politics and a regrettable belief the USA is irredeemable, and Tidal Wave's own publisher, who's a leftist as well, considers this worthy of a biography in panel format? It's reason enough to avoid Tidal Wave's biographical comics from now on. And all the while they continue to snub a lot of right-wing figures. Mr. Whelan probably won't be considered worth a comic adaptation either.

Whatever "layers" Griner's history has, it's clear the scriptwriters at Tidal Wave are unlikely to consider them, and the comic in preparation is bound to sugarcoat her leftist viewpoints. If only there were another comic publisher out there willing to do biographies about conservative leaning figures. Some competition is sorely needed for bio publishing, if ultra-liberals is what Tidal Wave thinks is worthy of note.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.