« Home | Japanese author impressed with first animated adap... » | James Tynion's viewpoints continue to be quite PC » | 2 disturbing messages written by a cartoon museum ... » | A columnist comparing Magneto and Scar from Full M... » | Mangaka Akira Kanai is against adhering to western... » | What Men's Health thinks is recommended reading » | Frank Miller talks about his past alcohol addiction » | Alabama specialty store moves to different location » | Some history of MAD magazine » | The history of how superhero physique changed » 

Tuesday, June 18, 2024 

Why Jeff Lemire decided to create Minor Arcana

Forbes spoke with the Canadian writer/artist Jeff Lemire, who's written up a comic titled Minor Arcana. He had the following to say about the 1990s:
His love of the edgier, adult-oriented comic books put out by Vertigo, the DC-owned banner spearheaded by industry legend Karen Berger, also played a major role in the birth of Minor Arcana. “With a few notable exceptions, the ‘90s were the nadir of superhero comics, and if it weren’t for the Vertigo books, I likely would have quit reading comics all together,” he admits. “There was a certain feeling and aesthetic to these early Vertigo books that I just love. It was somehow both timeless and very much of the time. I think a lot of the writers were influenced by post-punk and Goth music and culture, and that is very much in my wheelhouse as well. So, I’m trying to capture that feeling with Minor Arcana for sure. But, of course, it gets filtered through my own style and comes out as something a bit different.”

Lemire, who was just 16-years-old when Vertigo (now branded as DC Black Label) first launched, devoured almost everything it had to offer, with Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean’s Sandman standing out as one of his favorites.

“Dave McKean’s covers and Gaiman’s dark, but humanistic, stories hit the mark with me and started to really show me what comics could do,” he continues, also citing Teddy Kristensen and Steven Seagle’s House of Secrets a major source of inspiration. “Unfortunately, I think it’s out of print now, but I love it and revisited it last year when developing Minor Arcana. House of Secret’s protagonist, Rain, very much inspired my initial take on Theresa in Minor Arcana.”
Look who's talking. Somebody who hasn't done much on his part to emphasize what must be done to improve superhero comics, or point out unambiguously what went wrong from then till now. That Mr. Lemire would consider dark and grisly tales from Vertigo to be the most wonderful ideas that could come in the 90s is decidedly also biased, and as far as I'm concerned, Sandman was anything but "humanistic". It goes without saying Gaiman's overrated too. And at the end of the article, Lemire indicates he's not thinking very long term when it comes to formats:
The overall goal with Minor Arcana is “to get back to telling a long-form story” and “emphasize the importance of the monthly comics again,” Lemire concludes.
And this is enough to fall off the couch laughing. He really can't tell his tale in a whole paperback/hardcover format that doesn't rely on separate parts? Well I'm sorry, but Mr. Lemire has once again demonstrated he's pretty out of touch with what the industry needs to survive and thrive, to say nothing of how cliched it's become to emphasize darkness. What a shame, but the guy's just not proving he understands anything about what would work best for the medium at all. So if this new comic he's brewed up remains minor, it won't be a surprise.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.