Thursday, August 27, 2026

Georgia specialty store finds new location

Decaturish gives a report about a store in Tucker, GA, that had to move to a new location after the mall it was originally in began doing renovations:
After years of serving as a gathering place for comic book, gaming and pop culture fans, Challenges, Games and Comics, a Tucker comic book store, has found a new home after an unexpected development forced the business out of Northlake Mall.

Owner Antonio Cade said the store spent 10 years at North DeKalb Mall before moving to Northlake Mall, where it operated for about three years. When Northlake Mall was sold to the Centurion Foundation over the summer to expand the mall’s Emory Healthcare presence, Cade said tenants were given little warning about having to leave.

Cade was able to secure an additional 30 days to find a new location, giving him more time to move his business.

The move came with several challenges, including finding a space that could accommodate the store’s size, fit his budget and remain close to the customers who had supported the business over the years.

Cade said staying near Tucker and Decatur was important because Challenges had already built a strong customer base in the area.

“I was already in Tucker,” Cade said. “I liked the atmosphere in Tucker. And people just knew I was there. I didn’t want to go too far away from the customer base and the community.” [...]

Henry Walsh, a Challenges customer for about nine years, was among those who helped with the move. His “Dungeons & Dragons” group also helped raise money to support the business.

“I was crushed when Tony had to leave Northlake,” Walsh said. “I helped them move there from North DeKalb Mall. It was my pleasure and honor to help them settle [in the new space.]”

For Walsh, the store is more than a place to purchase comics and games. He said its welcoming atmosphere has made it an important part of his life and community.

“A place like Challenges is rare,” said Walsh. “It welcomes people of all races, creeds and orientations. Places like that foster a sense of community. Many patrons are nerds like me who don’t really have anywhere to go ... where we can talk about and share our interests. [That] is important in a day and age when it becomes hard for people to forge new friendships. I don’t know where I’d be without Challenges.”
The only part I take issue with is the part about "creeds". That can hint at religion, but it could quite possibly also allude to ideologies in a general sense. What, do we need to welcome Islam, Communism and other such belief systems at these specialty stores? Hardly. Also, have such statements really been necessary for over a quarter century now? Of course not, and that the customer even brought this up reeks of DEI pandering. It's entirely unneccesary, and but a problem that's been undermining entertainment marketing for years. Comics and RPG specialty stores have to stop resorting ever so often to these kind of statements, because in the end, they really don't do much for the business, and completely obscure the vitality of whether they sell according to merit. That's what should be the foremost goal involved.

And if they sell comics with emphasis on pamphlets, I really wish that'd change to a focus on paperbacks and hardcovers.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Flag Counter


track people
webpage logs
Flag Counter