« Home | Old pamphlets may not have much value, and if they... » | Since when were only Metropolis and Gotham importa... » | Brandon Seifert explains why he avoids writing rap... » | AP Wire gets it wrong about Vertigo » | WB plans to move DC to Burbank, CA » | A comic for children with cancer » | Greg Rucka acknowledges mainstream comics went bad... » | Comics developed for the disabled » | Huffington Post interviews Chuck Dixon » | Manny Alvarez thinks The Walking Dead TV show is h... » 

Saturday, November 02, 2013 

ScienceFiction.Com pans Kieron Gillen's Iron Man retcon

Usually, when I look at major websites dealing with fantasy entertainment, I realize I'll have to expect them to be very sugarcoated, no matter how bad a step made by Marvel and DC happens to be. This is a serious problem with a lot of prominent sites for comics and movies.

Amazingly, one of ScienceFiction.Com's reviewers didn't toe a PC line when he was reviewing the 17th issue of Iron Man, where Kieron Gillen retconned Tony Stark's background:
This feels so far removed from what is going on in the Marvel Universe right now and retcons so much of Tony’s past in an annoying way that I almost want to drop the book in frustration here. There’s still a lot of questions to be answered and unless this is revealed as some new kind of setup where Tony is being played and he really is Howard and Maria’s son, I don’t think they’ll be able to ever play this off properly.

I’m sorry, Kieron, but I don’t like what you did with this story arc. I was enjoying it up until these reveal and really feel that it falls short for Stark in a way that hasn’t happened in his series since pre-Civil War.

I’m not happy. I don’t know how you are going to redeem the story line after this one. These were changes to the character that I can’t say were at all needed for character development. Also with everything else going on in the Marvel Universe I can’t see this being helpful for true plot development. All of the build up on this story arc for this? I guess we’ll wait and see but if something huge doesn’t happen in the series that gets me drawn back into it on the Iron Man side of things I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to follow this one.
I sure hope he'll wise up and stop paying his hard-earned money for this fiasco. There is no character development or drama in retconning the status of a classic hero's parents while making a villain the real biological son in his stead. Even if it turns out that's not the case, they're still wasting a lot of time when they could've spent it introducing new relatives in the Stark family lineage among other new co-stars.

If only more reviewers would be as objective as this one was, comicdom might have had a better chance of being repaired long ago. Unfortunately, there's only so many reviewers out there who still gush over mishmash like Dr. Octopus as Spider-Man, and so long as they continue fawning, it's no surprise famous comics are destroyed.

Labels: , ,

Well, at least there's one reviewer who hasn't lost his or her senses. One down, a bajillion to go.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.