« Home | Fantastic Four computer console games » | Did Avi Arad stoop to propaganda? » | LA Times fawns over "The First Genuine Middle East... » | Don't be fooled by this little "double-trick" » | Since when did a chimpanzee alone make the book wo... » | James Doohan, RIP » | Jim Aparo, RIP » | All about Comic-Con » | The Brave and the Bold is back » | Review the book before making it a pick of the mon... » 

Saturday, July 30, 2005 

DC didn't say earlier that you'd need to read Superman and WW to understand OMAC Project

The following is a statement made by Greg Rucka on the Newsarama website:
“I want to say, before anything else that we tried very hard to build OMAC so that you weren’t obligated to buy anything else, and we failed,” Rucka said. “We really did. I’ll cop to it – I won’t lie about it. And we did it by playing dirty pool too – if you were buying The OMAC Project, you really need the Superman and Wonder Woman books to know what’s happening in issue #4 of the miniseries. If you don’t read them, it’s possible to understand them, but you don’t get the emotional resonance. That was a little bit of dirty pool, but we didn’t plan it out that way – we weren’t looking to spring this on people, but that’s the way it happened, and again, we’re sorry. So instead of a six issue miniseries, you get a ten issue miniseries, and I won’t fault any reader for not picking it up. I’d still suggest them though, because they’re a good story and worth reading, but I’d suggest, if nothing else, you pick up Wonder Woman #219 at the very least – call it issue OMAC #3.5 if you must, because it sets up the events of OMAC #4.”
Greg, with all due respect, I like your work, I really do, but...no. I'm not saying that Mr. Rucka is at fault here, but I will have to say that DC, if anyone, was being very dishonest with the readers by not telling in advance that, in spite of what may have been said earlier, that the OMAC Project didn't require reading other books in order to understand what's going on in the miniseries itself, it DID. Update: as of today, I'm no longer impressed with Rucka, even if he's not the worst writer per se today.

The failure of this whole buildup to yet another needless crossover is already starting to be felt. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, DC hasn't been publishing those silly "this issue sells out/goes back to press" news releases as much as they did before recently. Whether or not they're selling well, it's apparent that things are beginning to take their toll.

Update: an older item where I may have discovered for starters that Blue Beetle will be a victim of Countdown. And to make matters worse, Newsarama's interview with Greg Rucka does not reveal very promising details about it either:
"Likewise, the throughline of The OMAC Project draws directly upon the aftermath of Identity Crisis. The damage you get from Identity Crisis - the trauma that was inflicted upon the characters, both in terms of present continuity and revised past continuity - it's something that has to be addressed," Rucka said. "The OMAC Project is a story that, in part, is about Batman's reaction to the Dr. Light incident being absolutely corrupted for an evil purpose."
Sounds like a direct spinoff of IC, and frankly, I would rather save money than be gypped of any of my valuble greenbacks for the sake of some arbitrary miniserials that could in the end cost as much as another 4 dollars each.

This is decidedly the time that fans will have to face a real test to see if they can avoid being taken in by one of the big two's further attempts at foisting something upon their loyal buyers that they really have no use for. And me for one, well, I most certainly won't be fooled by a one dollar price tag, no matter what goes on. As Batman's Ten Cent Adventures showed, it's just not worth it.

Update 2: this item on Comics Should be Good talks about the political themes Countdown could have.

Update 3: DC's VP-editorial Dan DiDio is as sugarcoated as he was before when speaking with the ultra-establishment Newsarama about this awful x-over:
Dan Didio told attendees DC and the writers have spent so much time on Countdown, he called the book “seamless”, despite have three writers (Rucka, Judd Winick and Johns) and challenged any reader to figure out who wrote what.
Which I am not interested in doing. I am simply not interested in Countdown despite the price of just one dollar, which could indicate that they know they're in trouble now, following Identity Crisis.

An important note: not mentioned in here from what I can tell is that DiDio wants to use this as a way of "darkening" the DCU, just for the sake of it. Though some creators tried to assure the readers otherwise, and could have a point, it makes no difference; I have no interest in Countdown.

And also, on the knee-jerk Comics Nexus, we've got something truly ridiculous that implies that Batman's story arc in which Jason Todd appears to be returning is "fanboy material":
"Neat new cover. Unlike a lot of people (including some in our very own Roundtable) I have no problem with this one that "gives away" the shock ending. Why? Well, because if you are a "fanboy" you already know the shock ending."
By fanboys, the meaning is apparently those who find the material to be great stuff no matter what, regardless of whether it's good or bad.

Is this really what the industry should be built on though? And again, did we really need this kind of a story?

Labels: , , , , ,

Wow blog very beautiful, this is a blog that I had been looking at a nice topic. Obat TBC Paru Alami Cara Mengobati Sesak Nafas
Glad to visit this blog, if there was a recent article that has the same topic like this, please let us know ok. Cara Mengobati Jerawat Batu Obat Jantung Lemah Alami Obat Pengapuran Tulang Sendi Herbal

It was really a great information thanks for sharing.

cara mengatasi kaki kram atau kesemutan
cara mengobati gagal ginjal

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.