« Home | I'm not on Millar's side in this argument, that's ... » | For Stan Lee, something was in the air about super... » | I wish Millar would just leave Marvel already » | Science of superheroes exhibition » | Doom Patrol reinstated properly in the DCU » | Quesada still can't shake his biases: now he decla... » | Robin the Teen Fugitive Suspect » | Comics hero as a school mascot » | Top five Roger Stern Avengers storylines » | Miller explained just what's lacking - and needed ... » 

Thursday, April 13, 2006 

I had no idea who or what Ambush Bug was...

Until I read this topic on Suspension of Disbelief.

I would have to assume that he's a Bronze Age character, and maybe a parody of Superman, judging from the costume he's got on. The exact origin and background is profiled here.

It's strange, I'd only heard about Ambush Bug, knowing very little other than that, but now, as I can see, he's not that old a creation, and Keith Giffen, Robert Loren Fleming and Paul Kupperberg are the creators. They created him around the early 80s, the time when Giffen first began his own career. His real name may be Brum El (on earth, it's Irwin Schwab), and is an alien from another planet, not unlike Superman, whose own books Schwab first appeared in in backup stories.

It's certainly good to get to know a bit about who Ambush Bug is now, that's for sure!

That TPB was an April Fool's joke - appropriate, for Ambush Bug. Note what the Amazon.com link goes to.

Bug was a villain at first, but then he turned into just a nuisance to Superman, and finally some sort of hero. Keith Giffen had free reign to go wacky here, covering everything from the Legion to Julius Schwartz to Darkseid. Silly, bizarre fun. There's no TPB of Ambush Bug, but there should be. The issues are worth checking out. Here's his Wikipedia entry.

I got it now, thanks for the correction. I still have no idea how to fully identify an April Fools joke, silly me! I'll make sure to make some extra corrections for the entry soon.

A good way to identify an April Fool's joke is to look at the date - if it's April 1st, don't believe anything you read. :)

Also, read the comments, they're often updated afterwards and they discuss the joke.

Thanks.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.