« Home | Now I know why I'll never buy another crossover again » | Thank goodness someone did have the guts to say wh... » | FCBD in Boston » | ...And I'm no longer a fan of Geoff Johns » | Meltzer doesn't like J'onn J'onzz. One more reason... » | Conservatives are being all but kept out of comics » | Tom Cruise lined up for role in Iron Man movie...t... » | Star Trek patents are edging towards fact » | Trailer for Superman Returns » | With any luck, there'll be a new generation of art... » 

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 

Ben Grimm's new solo book cancelled. Will Ms. Marvel be next?

Given the lack of faith the Quesada-dominated editorial at Marvel is still held hostage by has in the characters under their control, this doesn't surprise me at all (Via Great Curve). So much for wanting to put together a whole list of the issues as time goes by on that Ben Grimm fansite I built.

Writer Dan Slott told people at Newsarama:
THE THING launched during the beginning of INFINITE CRISES, the end of HOUSE OF M, and when a large portion of Marvel's promotional dollars were being spent to push SPIDER-MAN: THE OTHER. It was a horrible time to launch ANY book-- let alone a 5th ongoing FANTASTIC FOUR title (FANTASTIC FOUR, MK4, ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR, and MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR) that was also coinciding with a couple of FANTASTIC FOUR mini-series and one-shots.
Of course it was a horrible time to launch a book like this one, but then again, why would Marvel's resident domineers really even care?

Still, with what Slott has to say about his success in developing a fanbase despite these problems, that's exactly why, as JK Parkin says, there should be a campaign to put Slott on Spider-Man. But not just Spider-Man, it's THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN he should be on! It's thanks to the current management's keeping non-entities like Michael Straczynski on ASM that I haven't been able to buy great characters like Spidey for an epoch. (Update: and now, here's why I am so disgusted, I take back my kind words for Slott.)

Oh, like I said before, if The Thing is going down, are we to expect Ms. Marvel to sadly take the plunge soon too, even if Brian Bendis is the one writing? (Considering how questionable his devotion to the MCU is, something tells me it wouldn't matter to him, if he's getting paid well.) I don't know, but in any case, Carol Danvers deserves much better than Bendis as a writer.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.