« Home | Tom Cruise lined up for role in Iron Man movie...t... » | Star Trek patents are edging towards fact » | Trailer for Superman Returns » | With any luck, there'll be a new generation of art... » | MacPherson just plain misses the points » | Keith Giffen talks about the new Blue Beetle » | Athlete fan of the Flash » | Wizbang's take on the Hulk movie » | Parody that failed » | ...And this is pretty juvenile too » 

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 

Conservatives are being all but kept out of comics

And if they are, that could be one of the reasons why they're failing. Reading what another blogger I know has to say on Adam's Blog, I'm in agreement that comics are indeed in a sorry state due to how close-minded the head honchos have become as well. And it's a shame, because, as he says:
If you want someone to tell you how old and powerful comics are with a lot of big words, I'll direct you to Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics", which is an excellent read even if you're not a fan of comics. McCloud has a lot to say about comics and visual arts in general, and though I have no idea what his politics are, he's a recognized authority on the subject. (Insofar as comic books have recognized authorities.) If you don't want to go buy Scott's book, or visit his website at Scott McCloud.com then I'll simply ask you to take it as read that comics are an old, powerful, and important artform, and move on.
Not to worry, I'm in full agreement that McCloud is one of the best experts on the subject, and, now that I recall, the historian Mike Benton was too. And comics are most definately a powerful medium, one that, as I've thought in recent years, is probably the only medium that I want to really uphold. Not movies and television, just comics.
Honestly, I don't know how much of an inroad can be made into the mainstream titles -- if ... you can picture chain link fence keeping conservatives out of Hollywood, then picture DC, Image, and Marvel on an island somewhere in shark-infested waters, surrounded by a twenty-foot high concrete wall topped with razor wire. (Granted, it's not easy for anyone, but it's doubly hard for conservatives, at least if they want their writing to reflect their own vision, rather than someone else's.) Still, the talent is out there, and talent always eventually finds a way to break out.
There's a point to this - Chuck Dixon, who is conservative, seems to have been all but shut out by DC and Marvel due to his standings, I don't know. If he was, that's certainly a shame (I will have to note though that, if he was among the writers who decided to imitate Frank Miller's Dark Knight, effectively damaging Bruce Wayne as a character for at least a decade, then that's one part where I'll have to express my disappointment in Dixon).

Comics may not suffer from the same kind of PC madness that the movie industry does, that seems to bar a lot of conservatives from being allowed to have their say and viewpoint, but if the big two don't make the entrance to their companies more friendly for conservatives, they won't be doing themselves any more a favor than the movie biz is.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.