« Home | Parody that failed » | ...And this is pretty juvenile too » | Wizard is lost in the jungle, and tangled in the u... » | I had no idea who or what Ambush Bug was... » | I'm not on Millar's side in this argument, that's ... » | For Stan Lee, something was in the air about super... » | I wish Millar would just leave Marvel already » | Science of superheroes exhibition » | Doom Patrol reinstated properly in the DCU » | Quesada still can't shake his biases: now he decla... » 

Friday, April 21, 2006 

Wizbang's take on the Hulk movie

I looked around the database of the popular Wizbang weblog, where the great Kevin Aylward put together the nifty standalone trackback pinger (which I used to send a ping to the following post, but because it's from three years ago, I'm not sure if it worked.), and found a short take on the movie adaptation of the Incredible Hulk he wrote three years ago. Kevin's blogged plenty of good stuff over the years, though I think this discussion here has both what I can concur and dissent with. First:
Remember how bored you were in the first half of the original Superman? The same feeling applies to The Hulk, only the good feelings never arrive. It's never a good sign when the audience laughs at the dialog in a dramatic scene because it is so bad you feel sorry for the actors and crew who had to film the scene.
When I look back at a lot of comic book movies over the years, I have to admit, many of them do fall very short of the mark, to the point of camp (Catwoman most definately qualifies there, sans argument), and if they did have any luster when first made, they've lost it since.

On the other hand...
My wife had a pretty good summary... When comic book films try to be serious and dramatic (as opposed to going the camp or pure fantasy route) they are bound to suck. Why? Taken as a whole, the story lines in comic books just are not that good. Comic book movie directors should stick with to the mindless fun and lite fare formula employed successfully by the X-Men or Spiderman movies. Don't try to make us forget Death of a Salesman with your tale of the "special" little boy whose daddy didn't love him.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. The stories in comics can be good, and there are plenty that are (though with the way the companies have been invaded by moonbats who don't give a crap about what makes them work, in superheroics, adventure, or even in dramatics, is coming dangerously close to proving otherwise), but, if I can figure out what Aylward is trying to say, it's that the characters in the film, whether they be wearing costumes or look comic-bookish and cartoonish like the Hulk himself, are increasingly hard to translate to live-action, if at all. True, there is and always will be that problem, and it can certainly make it hard thus, to take the movie at hand seriously.

The thing is, with movies going continuously downhill these days accompanies by constantly decreasing box office receipts, that's why, while I do hope that the third Spider-Man and X-Men movie will do well, I can't say I'm all that bothered by if, as a result of Tinseltown's collapse, there'll be no more adaptations to come. Reading material, comics included, as I've concluded in the past year, is better.

And without too many more adaptations, I figure that Marvel won't be able to tamper with the story structures in their books that much, just so that movie audiences "won't be confused" by what they see in the original comic books. Ah, now that would most definitely be a breath of fresh air.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.