« Home | The real reason why Superman would be better than ... » | Manga/Anime clubs in Boston » | Third X-Men movie may not be the last » | Getting what the Hulk is about » | Oh well. Guess I'll just have to take back what I ... » | Ben Grimm's new solo book cancelled. Will Ms. Marv... » | Now I know why I'll never buy another crossover again » | Thank goodness someone did have the guts to say wh... » | FCBD in Boston » | ...And I'm no longer a fan of Geoff Johns » 

Thursday, May 25, 2006 

Someone obviously didn't read anything about Ra's al Ghul...

A new so-called family movie came out shortly ago, called Hoot, and it seems that the emphasis is on eco-terrorism. It's already gotten more than enough criticism (and flopped at the box office). But what's really a shame is that the scriptwriter/director of the movie, Wil Shriner,* clearly didn't ever read a thing about Ra's al Ghul, the Bat-nemesis who was quite an eco-terrorist in his time. Here's a profile of one of Batman's most craftiest foes:
Ra's's goal is a world in perfect environmental balance, a goal he will achieve at any cost. Since he believes that the best way to do so is to eliminate most of humanity, he may be regarded as an ecoterrorist bent upon global genocide. That he has the means to achieve his goal makes him extremely dangerous and brings him into frequent conflict with Batman. Ra's usually tries to assault the world's human populace with a biological weapon, such as a genetically-engineered virus.
The Hoot movie, pried from a Carl Hiaasen novel, may not go quite as far as Ra's did, but ecoterror is still ecoterror, and what a shame that these days, putting emphasis on lawbreaking is the attempted norm of the moviemakers. After all, isn't threatening people with deadly weapons, whether or not they be alligators, and kidnapping, among the many crimes Ra's specialized in? Indeed. And the director of Hoot should be ashamed of himself for promoting acts of violence in the movie almost like what Ra's did to his innocent targets years ago.

It's true that animals, even owls, have rights, but it pales in comparison with the subject of human rights. And promoting violation of human rights for the sake of animal rights, not to mention breaking the law, which superheroes wouldn't approve of, is a bad example.

More on the movie from: Okie on the Lam in LA, Three Sources, The Dragon and the Phoenix.

* Argh, why must the browser window narrow itself whenever I access that page!

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.