« Home | Dixon comes back to DC, and Connor Hawke gets a le... » | So THAT'S why the Silver Age Atom's getting shafted! » | Dublin's Captain America-dedicated resturant » | A far cry from the Kapitalist Kouriers » | Deconstruction, not innovation » | Yep, they're just warring with each other » | Comic book piracy online » | Interview with Barry Windsor-Smith » | Interview with artist Jerry DeCaire » | An example of favoratism and double-standards » 

Thursday, June 15, 2006 

One really distasteful puff of toxic gas

The awful AP Wire wrote a puff piece, as one of my blogging acquaintences, Elder of Zion, puts it, on an anti-Israel, anti-American comic published in Egypt that first came out last year, but is still getting some coverage. But what doesn't the AP mention? As Elder says:
The part that the AP decides isn't relevant to this story is that the major female superhero, Jalila - a female scientist who at the age of 16 survived an explosion at the Dimodona nuclear plant (a reference to Israel's Dimona nuclear research reactor), and gained super-powers from the radiation. She protects the City of All Faiths (Jerusalem) from the warring Zios Army (guess who) and the United Liberation Force (guess who again.)

This story came out over a year ago. To be fair, from looking at the synopses of the comic books themselves it looks more like standard superhero fare than explicit hatemongering against Israel, but the subtext is there and it is crystal clear. The fact that the AP decides not to mention it is just another in a long string of whitewashing we've come to expect from the MSM.
Yes, I know just what those two movements are. Zios is really Zion, and United Liberation Force is the United States Army, a hint of the publisher's opinion on the war in Iraq.

And as a resident of Jerusalem, I'm certainly insulted. And that the AP downplays everything, making it look as innocuous as possible, is just one more offense. There are many ways for hatemongers and jihadists to indoctrinate their subjects. And one of those ways, from what I can tell, is to mimic de-facto the US approach to publishing comics.

I think this is also starting to make me hate allegorical storytelling, too.

Topic linked to: The Dumb Ox, Is it Just Me, TMH's Bacon Bits.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.