« Home | Opened a blog carnival edition » | Bob LeRose, 1921-2006 » | Are comics really back with a bang? » | JMS is off of FF, though Thor is now wishing he ha... » | Prince Namor goes to Hollywood » | Frank Miller comes in praise of patriotism » | 9-11, five years later » | Ben Grimm - defeatist and deserter? » | Stan Lee meets his own creations » | Aggravating » 

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 

How Nightwing escaped death

I'm really surprised here. Newsarama (via Titans Tower Monitor) has an article up about how the very same writers who wouldn't come to the defense of Sue Dibny, Jean Loring, and perhaps most importantly of all, Stephanie Brown, actually stood up for Dick Grayson:
Q: Why didn’t you kill Nightwing in Infinite Crisis?

Waid: Because Geoff Johns and I took turns holding a big club over Dan once we learned he wanted too.

Perez: And speaking for guys who actually earn residuals off of Nightwing, we like him too.

Q: Why was it even considered?

Waid: Yeah Dan, why?

Wayne: And don’t say again, “Because Bob said it would sell.”

Busiek: Have you ever drunk a lot of Scotch? Dan has.

Waid: Yeah, what has he ever done to you?

Didio: We were looking for the big death in Infinite Crisis – the big moment. We were looking for something that would have equal import and merit and weight in this story. One of the things I’ve been proven wrong about is that I had felt that Dick Grayson was a redundant character – Tim Drake had filled his role as Robin, he would never be Batman, so where could he go?

My big fear was that Nightwing would get older than Batman. The thought was that if we removed Dick form the equation that would allow Bruce Wayne to stand alone as Batman, and to firmly establish Tim Drake as Robin. So now – Marv is showing us why we like him, his place in the DC Universe, and more importantly, his potential in the DC Universe.
Other questions that could be asked include, "what have Sue, Jean and Steph ever done to you either?" And DiDio's "fear" that Nightwing would get older than Batman is laughable, and misleading as usual - comic book characters generally aren't meant to age more than need be! Man, does that man really need help.

Of course, he fails to offer any explanation why people might like Sue, Jean and Steph as well, one more reason why he only makes me yawn at his words.

More importantly though, I'm really sad to see that the reason why George and Marv, among others, would oppose Nightwing's death is because they earn residual off of his marketing. However, that could also explain why DC may have been killing off some of the characters Chuck Dixon established when he wrote Nightwing's book: because they didn't want to pay him any residuals off of them. Possible? Maybe.

Open trackbacks: Blue Star Chronicles, bRight & Early, Diane's Stuff, Leaning Straight Up, Mark My Words, Point Five.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.