« Home | Even foreign newspapers disappoint » | Who dominates the industry today » | The next comics writer to open his own blog... » | Hardin Burnley, RIP » | Jerry Bails' Who's Who in American Comic Books » | Triangle interview with Scott McCloud » | "Social conscience"? Ho, I'll bet » | Palo Alto High School students organize comic book... » | Our troops are getting copies of a New Avengers sp... » | Happy Hanuka to everyone! » 

Saturday, December 23, 2006 

What to make of Jodi Picoult?

I'd heard for some time now about the novelist Jodi Picoult, who's going to do another story arc on Wonder Woman after Allen Heinberg takes off. But as flattering as it might sound that a woman is going to write the book after all these years, there are problems with it, such as that Picoult, as I learned, was never a comics expert herself, and only understood things through her son's guidance, since he is a comics expert. I also find it harder to cherish things when I discover in this interview I linked to that the scripts are top secret. Because, believe it or not, it's getting old already, and might actually signal more disappointment than pleasure today.

But maybe the real reason I'll be keeping my expectations minimal for now is because of the following entry I found on Precocious Curmudgeon a couple months ago, where Welsh lets know that he listened to an audio take on My Sister's Keeper, and, as he says in his concluding opinion:
Picoult is given to flat pronouncements and tortured analogies, and she fails spectacularly in making some characters even remotely sympathetic. Her idea of moral complexity isn’t dissimilar to Brad Meltzer’s, another best-selling author snapped up by DC to write some comics.
Whoa ho, sounds like she could be of almost the same overrated status as Meltzer happens to be. Also, when reading a recent interview with artist Drew Johnson, I find that the debacle with Max Lord may still be getting trotted out for yet more belaborment:
DJ: Wonder Woman's in an interesting place right now - after the Max Lord incident and post-Infinite Crisis. I think the character is going through a morally complex arc, and I'm interested to see where she'll end up.
I'm not. WW's breaking Lord's neck was forced and contrived, and most of all, that they de-facto killed him off was actually predictable after the character destruction inflicted upon Max in the Countdown book. If they're going to keep on with it here, I think that's one of the sloppiest things they could do.

Open trackbacks: Big Dog's Weblog, Diane's Stuff, Gribbit's Word, Is it Just Me, The Right Nation, Stop the ACLU.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.