« Home | Marshall Rogers, RIP » | I'm glad I didn't read the Ion maxi-series » | Eddie Berganza is laughable » | The Ice princess cometh back » | The top 15 unintentionally funny comic book panels » | Booster Gold to get a new series » | To them, this may be "it", but to me, it ain't » | I agree/disagree with IGN about Ms. Marvel » | What are the reasons for comics declining? Not exa... » | Anti-conservatism in the 1980s » 

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 

Yes, the Punisher is becoming Captain America. No, I am not happy

It really wasn't even being kept a secret. The Punisher, Frank Castle, appears to be taking up Steve Rogers' role as Captain America, and not only am I not impressed, I really don't like that outfit he's wearing either.

I have no idea if Frank is actually going to be using deadly force in the role of the Star-Spangled Avenger (and I'm sure there's plenty of conservatives out there who'd agree that killing is not a path superheroes should truly have to explore), but in any case, I'm not wasting my time on this clearly deliberate and forced move. Nor am I impressed with this fluff-coated tommyrot press release from Marvel that IGN's just published:
The creative team behind Punisher War Journal have been praised for bringing Frank back to the mainstream Marvel Universe in nothing but thoroughly entertaining stories. Writer Matt Fraction, the writer quickly making a name for himself with Punisher War Journal and co-writing the smash-hit The Immortal Iron Fist with Ed Brubaker, and Ariel Olivetti, the bourgeoning artistic talent who was recently named one of the Young Guns Reloaded, have put the Punisher back in the spotlight and super-villains back into the Punisher's crosshairs.
Fraction made a name for himself? Big deal. I really didn't care when I heard that the Punisher was being brought back into focus in the MCU. In recent years, he's either been turned unrecognizable from what he was like in the past, or, he's been exploited for anti-war propaganda (as in Garth Ennis' MAX title), or, he's been put in contrived and forced situations like what came during Civil War, apparently because they seem to find the idea of a character who's been killing left and right donning the gear of one who doesn't so appealing. But I don't approve.

And I'm not wasting my time on this latest publicity stunt either. In fact, something tells me it's not going to get exactly the same kind of media attention that Steve's "death" received a couple weeks ago, maybe because they don't want anyone to ponder the idea of a death-dealing protagonist in the role of crimefighter who's not known for using deadly force at every turn.

Open trackbacks: Allie is Wired, Basil's Blog, Church and State, La Toga Strappata, MoreWhat.Com, Perri Nelson's Website, Pirate's Cove, The Right Nation, The Virtuous Republic.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.