« Home | Jerry Robinson becomes DC's creative consultant » | An anime convention in Bedford Township » | Sword of the Atom TPB: A book you should own » | Where did the misuse of Tigra first begin? » | What are the prospects of a Captain America movie,... » | But what does Brubaker stand for? » | Notes on two Cassandras » | Hollywood writers who deal with comics » | DC keeps assigning Winick to more of their books » | Thor comes back to do more fighting with Iron Man? » 

Monday, October 29, 2007 

When the villains go MIA

A writer for ICV2 (via The Beat blog) talks about how Marvel's villains have become almost completely absent lately. He also argues that comics of recent have become far too bleak:
Since Civil War started, the Marvel Universe has been all about the heroes fighting the heroes. I've honestly forgotten about villains these days. Think about it. Who's the first "villain" to be introduced in the new Thor series? Iron Man. Wow, what does that say? And we were all overjoyed to see Thor kick his butt. But honestly, I'd rather my heroes were a bit... I don't know... heroic.

What's our current epic storyline? World War Hulk, in which the Hulk (one of our favorite heroes) crushes all the other heroes who may have killed a whole lot of people, including the Hulk's baby. Wow, that's uplifting! Where are the villains? Oh, that's easy, they're all villains. And what's the next major storyline we can expect? Secret Invasion, in which we will find out which of our heroes.... are not heroes.

[...]

I'm all for realistic, dramatic books, to a point. It seems that the current Marvel Universe is bogged down in some weird Orwellian dark age where the heroes aren't heroes, and the villains just aren't important. And personally, it seems that people are quickly losing interest, especially with the books that are potentially moving us away from this condition being plagued by continued lateness. Sure there are some good books out there, but the comic world in general right now just seems to be a darker place than usual.
That pretty much makes the point even I once thought to make, that, if I don't read DC Comics for utter bleakness, then I don't read Marvel Comics for that kind of thing either. For both universes, it's just simply unhealthy to wallow in an overdose of darkness all the time.

And making the heroes into the regular villains instead of the actual villains themselves, now that just plain stinks.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.