« Home | Darius LaMonica and Sleet's anti-jihad comic » | Quebecor's financial problems » | AP Wire delivers the worst OMD coverage of all » | Warner Bros. puts Justice League movie on backburner » | IGN discussion on retcons, revamps and continuity » | Chicago Sun-Times tells the fans to go to...you ge... » | Geoff Johns comes back to write the Rogues » | Retailers on Amazing Spider-Man » | Now I understand: Hulk has been relaunched » | Controversy is exactly the problem » 

Sunday, January 20, 2008 

Even the art shouldn't be reason to stick around

While I know that this is a newspaper columnist in focus here, it still seems a bit odd that the comics columnist for the Pennsylvania Express-Times would stick around on Spider-Man after the debacle of One More Day just for the art:
The only really good thing about the first part of "Brand New Day" is Steve McNiven's art.

The first book that I ever noticed McNiven's art was in "Civil War." His work on that book was amazing. Every issue he seems to get better and better.

He keeps that same high quality art for "Amazing Spider-Man" and for now is the only reason I'll stay with the book.
Really, really, really. Even the artwork shouldn't be reason enough to stay around, when the premises Brand New Day stems from are as awful as they are. It could be George Perez, Scott Campbell, and plenty of other talented artists, but even that wouldn't justify the bad directions that Brand New Day stems from, nor Civil War. One certainly shouldn't have to pay to get a look at the artwork, that's for sure.

In short, I think I detect a bit of sensationalism here. Not exactly how to report in the papers about a subject like this.

There may be some cases where the artwork can be worth it, but this is definitely not one of them.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.