« Home | More on the Red Sonja legal battle in Delaware » | Now Quesada pins the blame on MJ » | The media's going out of their way again to cooper... » | Not that cliche again... » | So Sins Past is still in continuity? » | This makes me feel uncomfortable » | In New Avengers, violence is okay, but profanity i... » | Enough of the Emperor's New Clothes act » | I thought it was possible: fans of the Multiverse ... » | CS Indy interviews the Simonsons » 

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 

Taking the wrong direction on marriage

The Pottsville Republican & Herald talks about how Marvel has dealt with marriage, and feels that they're taking the wrong approach now. They overlook a telling detail, however:
I know it’s only a comic book, but I hate the trend of breaking up marriages to make a character “cool” again. Apparently Spidey has to be single for people to relate to him.

But what message does that give young readers? Yes, people get divorced in real life. Marriages don’t work out for a variety of reasons.

But that’s all the more reason for a superhero to stay married.

Granted, Spider-Man and MJ didn’t get a divorce. In a deal with Mephisto (not the devil, but close enough), they traded their marriage to save the life of Spidey’s Aunt May. So it was more a heroic sacrifice than a divorce.

But really, that can only be done in fiction, and it nonetheless threw out 20 years of a solid relationship. Spider-Man has been married to MJ since 1987.
The writer seems to overlook the fact that the way Aunt May's life was saved (or was it?) was in a way that she herself would not have approved of: making a deal with even a quasi-devil, but certainly an evil entity. What message does that send to young readers? That's not exactly what I would call heroic at any rate.
And it’s not the first time Marvel has done it.

In X-Men, Cyclops was more or less cheating on his wife, Jean Grey.

The writers killed her off before they could resolve the issue — if they were even going to.

In Mighty Avengers, Giant Man and Wasp (who, sadly, I can’t tell if they are divorced yet or not) are also seeing other people.
Regarding Cyclops' unfaithfulness to Jean, I hated that, because from what I can tell, it was meant to belittle her. And that she was killed off again (for now) only makes it worse. As for Hank Pym and Janet VanDyne, I guess Bendis decided to ruin a good attempt to fix the damage done to their relationship back in the early 80s yet again, didn't he? Sigh.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.