« Home | Orlando MegaCon » | Eighteenth Comic Book Carnival » | Meet Charles Sobietti, anti-jihad comic book hero » | January sales for ASM were even less than previous... » | John Ostrander sinks into "liberal guilt" » | Will Justice League movie producers omit America f... » | Where have the heroes gone? » | Simply hilarious: Brother Eye absorbs Apokolips » | DiDio's vapid statements about the multiverse » | Winick never took part in the 1988 Jason Todd poll » 

Saturday, March 08, 2008 

Dan Slott is beginning to show his true colors

On this thread at Spider-Man Crawl Space, which begins with an excerpt from a Wizard interview with Axel Alonso involving the controversy and outrage over Brand New Day, Dan Slott responds to the posters and to be quite honest, I think he's really sneering here. He says:
Marvel has been hearing the SAME thing from retailers over and over again. Much like that retailer in the article said-- retailers have noticed a drop in in-store Spider-Man subscribers. But when it comes time to ring up those SAME customers at the register, those SAME customers have ASM in their stacks! The SAME guys who are dropping AMAZING SPIDER-MAN from their pull-lists are picking it up off the racks!

This is what retailers KEEP telling us.
Hmm, I fail to see the logic here. Especially when via some of the same message boards, I get the impression that a lot of these stores have gigantically stacked decks of copies sitting around with nobody buying.

Also, Slott really should take into consideration that Wizard will do whatever sugarcoated acts it takes to aid and abet the publishers no matter how much wrong they've done to the audiences and even the retailers. Wizard, after all, is not on the side of the readers, and come to think of it, not on the side of the retailers either. So, it should come as no surprise if Wizard is being dishonest, and either warping words or taking things out of context if that's what it takes to try and aid Quesada on the road to nowhere.

I've already noted earlier that ASM took a drop in sales. And Slott has the gall to blatantly rub salt into the wounds of the audience? At the end of his post, he "thanks" a poster whom he says helped get them attention by saying:
You might just be the butterfly who flapped his wings on the internet, caused a hurricane in the real world, and gave ASM #546 the attention it needed to spike and reach the #2 spot in January! You might just be the guy who brought new readers in off the street, helped major retail chains sell out, and made us go back to press for a second printing on #546! Keep up the good work!
With that kind of an attitude, I think Slott may have easily turned me away from being a fan of his. Now, I'm beginning to think of him as a trojan horse, who first lulled readers into a false sense of security, and then took off the mask to show just how respectable a writer he really is. I think he's insulted even the retailers whose sales have been hurting thanks to Marvel's slap in the face to fans. Many of those copies, if I'd read the news correctly, are non-returnable, leaving many clerks to suffer from a stuffed storage room. That's not exactly what I'd call being fair to the store owners.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.