« Home | Traverse City Library's manga book club » | Even in the Silver Age, this wouldn't pass muster » | Joe Simon battles on » | Catwoman looks like it's been cancelled » | Marvel puts out press releases without being clear » | Can the Rogues still be called "beloved"? » | Steve Ditko puts out new book » | A manga book about European food » | Marvel's continuing puff piece invasion » | Batman will survive "Final Crisis", but what about... » 

Sunday, April 20, 2008 

Geek in the City interviews Chuck Dixon

The Geek in the City website interviewed Chuck Dixon, one of the few conservatives who managed to climb the ladder successfully in comicdom. And I see he talks here about the Dibnys, who came back as body-possessing ghosts in Batman and the Outsiders:
GitC – As for your work on Batman and the Outsiders. Did you always plan to bring poor ‘ol Ralph and Sue Dibney back into the DC Fold? Also, any other surprise characters you can hint at? Any Haunted Tank rolling with the Outsiders?

Chuck Dixon - The Dibneys’ return was by editorial fiat from on high. And there will be surprises ahead. Some characters returning. Some leaving. Some morphing into a new form.
I just hope that in the case of the Dibnys, it'll be returning as themselves. The whole idea of becoming ghosts does not appeal to me, and does not repair the damage done in Identity Crisis either. But this does tell a thing or two about what the higher-ups wanted to do, which was to turn the Dibnys into disembodied spirits. I'm sorry, but, while I'm sure there are some "darker" things Ralph and Sue can dabble in, the darker world is not the place for them, and turning them into ghosts takes away one of the things that made Ralph such a great guy years before: his ability to stretch with doses of gingold juice. It also detracts considerably from his potential as a comedic superhero.

And Sue isn't helped either by being a ghost.

Ralph and Sue should be returned to the living world. As ghosts, they really don't have much range.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.