« Home | Justice League movie gets posponed again » | Geek in the City interviews Chuck Dixon » | Traverse City Library's manga book club » | Even in the Silver Age, this wouldn't pass muster » | Joe Simon battles on » | Catwoman looks like it's been cancelled » | Marvel puts out press releases without being clear » | Can the Rogues still be called "beloved"? » | Steve Ditko puts out new book » | A manga book about European food » 

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 

Mark Waid lets me down

As told in this interview at Comics Bulletin, he's going to join the writing staff for Amazing Spider-Man in its current, Brand New Day state.

Wow! That really has me feeling disappointed to learn that a writer whom I once thought was pretty talented is going to play along with an editor who's becoming quickly unpopular, and take up the assignment of writing a book being held hostage to unfair mandates. But maybe this shouldn't be too surprising after how Waid went along with editorial dictations since Identity Crisis, and even seems to accept the death of his own creation, Bart Allen, as fait accompli. That could even suggest why sales for Flash dropped shortly after "The Wild Wests" went to press, as people were understandably let down by how he just waved a white flag and went along with what DC's done.

I heard that even Roger Stern may make a story contribution to ASM, one more sign of how some of the most well regarded writers of the yesteryear are abandoning any solid stands they might've once had in favor of getting paid to write under embarassing circumstances like what ASM's been put through. Several years ago, I wondered why some writers weren't getting hired lately. But even there, there's a problem, that writers who aren't getting work as of recent may be willing to do whatever the editors tell them if that's what it takes to get back into the business again, even if it involves something unpopular with the readership.

There may be a lesson to be learned in this, that even some well-regarded writers today can really let people down by siding with the editors mandating the stories, even if it leaves in place the damage being done.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.