« Home | Plain Dealer fawns over Blackest Night and Dark Reign » | More on Stan Lee's Time Jumper » | The Philippines' Classics Illustrated collector » | Obama worship among comic publishers gets even worse » | Printing online » | I do not look forward to JMS writing 4 onetime Arc... » | Why is the Calculator exacting revenge on the Tita... » | Big Hollywood's ComiCon updates » | Express-Times fawns over Blackest Night » | The iTunes of comics » 

Monday, August 03, 2009 

A drop in sales for graphic novels

According to ICV2 (via Anime News Network):
Graphic novel sales dipped in both bookstores and comic stores in the first half of 2009, according to an article in the new ICv2 Insider’s Guide #67. Nielsen BookScan numbers show an 8% decline in piece sales in bookstores in the Adult Fiction/Graphic Novels category in the first 25 weeks of 2009, according to the article. The Bookscan figures do not include graphic novels racked in Kids and YA departments in bookstores, which probably means that the decline is less than 8% over-all.

Graphic novel sales were up in comic stores in Q1, but dropped in Q2.
As I've guessed before, the graphic novels they allude to could be DC and Marvel's time-wasting crossovers and publicity stunts. That's why, now that I think of it, I wish they'd give some clearer insight as to just what graphic novels aren't doing well. It could help to understand what might be going wrong with GN sales.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.