« Home | Weekly comics have seen their day in the sun » | Brian Hibbs feels the big two are going in the wro... » | John Romita Jr. sucks up to Quesada and co. » | I feel very sorry for Carol Ferris » | Football and basketball manga books » | James Robinson put words in Jesse Quick's mouth, a... » | Kyoto's manga-anime festival » | Extra examples from Geoff Johns' worst work on the... » | 2 Batmen is just 2 too many » | Darwyn Cooke tells how DC and Marvel must change » 

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 

Are DC and Marvel retreating from the book and library market?

This post at Comics Beat talks about how, in the year since Disney bought Marvel and DC announced changes in management, they haven't really made any real achievements; surprise, surprise. But what raised my eyebrows was the following:
Neither company seemed to do much in the bookstore or library markets. They actually seemed to be retreating from these markets. Neither company exhibited at BEA or ALA. DC was marginally represented by Random House at these shows; only a few of their books were on display at ALA and Random House had a greatly reduced presence at BEA. At the very least both companies should have a least one staffer around to answer questions. I only saw one DC executive at BEA and didn’t see anyone from Marvel. Compare this to the army of people they send to San Diego Comic-Con.

No talent from Marvel or DC toured bookstores or libraries and I didn’t see any significant expansion of either publisher’s books on the shelves.
No kidding. And they wonder why they're fading away. Truly, they want to fail. That's why we can't even expect them to change their marketing approach and switch from pamphlets to a more viable format.

Labels: , ,

With manchildren like DiDio and Quesada running amuck, this is bound to happen

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.