« Home | Captain America movie trailer » | KIMM's female artists exhibition » | Less known H.G Wells sci-fi story being turned int... » | Bexley manga festival in London » | What went wrong with the Titans » | The new WW television costume comes out » | Marvel Comics insults 9-11 Families and their supp... » | Sailor Moon comes back to USA » | DC cancels Flash, and keeps making a joke of thems... » | The art of Jim Starlin » 

Sunday, March 27, 2011 

7 years, and DC Comics still won't move away from Identity Crisis

Now they're publishing an edition called Absolute Identity Crisis, and promoting it with a gushy statement by the author:
“IDENTITY CRISIS changed my life. It truly did. And it let me be a part of something that was so far bigger than myself. I’m honored that it’s being given the Absolute treatment and that we’re adding so many extras. And I just want to say a special thanks to every single person who told me that IDENTITY CRISIS was the book that got them back into comics.” – Brad Meltzer
Did it? When you look at how low sales numbers are today, even in paperback sales come to think of it, his sensationalized quote couldn't be more laughable, though given how horrific the miniseries was, that's why it's really not funny at all. It's just repulsive.

The really sad thing besides the prejudices the miniseries has is that here, it's been 7 years since they published it, and still, if this tells anything, they just won't let it go, nor the directions they've been setting with it.

Labels: , , , ,

To quote Crow from MST3K, "Part of me is laughing -- the part hates life."

If I had to pick the one series that made me renounce modern DC, it would be this. Hasn't been the same, since.

Well, my week just started off badly. Heh.

Oh for the love of the gods WHY?

I'm with Killer Moth here it was this and later hearing about the tripe known as Cry that made me renounce modern DC Because there is nothing more sexist then those works.

also can I be the feminist of this board.

Hey, I think that's my job. Heh. ;-)

Me three for Killer Moth and Crow's MST3K's quote.

Word verification: Ditiness. As is "IC is a big pile of ditiness."

I'm in the process of putting together a pre-Crisis chronology of the DC multiverse (although I am planning on noting certain events that were written afterward, provided they fit and can actually add something (the JSAers capturing the Spirit King, for example).
Having said that, IC will NOT be a party of it. Which is just as well, because I'm afraid if I try to read it again I will fwow up.

Of course, what BM doesn't say is that "the people" he brought back to comics are usually bitter MRAs who like to think all women should be silent submissive slaves or else evil harpies who must be punished as much as possible. Not quite the readership most folks are going for.

That should have been "the part that hates life." Whoops. Oh, well, it was still made of 'winning,' to quote Charlie Sheen.

Anyway, Blue Jean raises a good point in that, "who is IC supposed to appeal to, anyway?" Rapists, prisoners, sociopaths?

And for a disclaimer, No, I don't believe all women should not be silent submissive slaves or evil harpies who must be punished as much as possible. However, I don't want the male characters margalized or femmnized, either. I'm sure a mix of the two is possible, but we need some writers who actually know subtlety. I just don't care for the ham-fisted and dark form of storytelling -- call me crazy.

I gotta agree with you - this guy have no idea what he's talking about

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.