« Home | Graphic novels declining in sales this past March » | Fear Itself won't save comicdom, nor will Flashpoint » | General Zod will be the villain in new Superman movie » | Australia's manga workshops » | IDW reprinting Marvel series » | Ron Marz puts down Ayn Rand » | Steve Rogers regains his role as Captain America » | CBG's sensationalizing of Johnny Storm's pedestria... » | Many anime series only get as far as video in America » | An uncertain future for Marvel as a book publisher » 

Friday, April 15, 2011 

Unfunny joke in Superman #709

The Denver Westword wrote about the no-longer-a-big-deal Grounded storyline by J. Michael Stracynski, which is still going on interminably, now detailing Superman's visit to Boulder, Colorado, where the Flash is suffering from the dreadful influence of a Kryptonian gemstone and draws the Man of Steel's attention by dressing the public in planetary outfits. And during the story, this comes up:
Superman ultimately manages to catch up to the Flash (because the Flash let him, the lightning-bolted one later insists), removes the headband, and restores Boulder, even removing the Kryptonian outfits that wound up on locals. "I'm glad that Flash put these costumes on over these people's clothes," Superman says to himself. "I'd hate to see the headlines if he hadn't. 'Superman and Flash Strip Town Naked!'"
Really, that line occurs during the issue? Well if it's supposed to be funny, it just falls flat, like practically anything else Straczynski's ever written that tries to be comedic.

Some of these papers try to make it sound like it's a big deal the Man of Steel came to visit certain hometowns, but, as sales estimates should tell, nobody cares, and if JMS is still writing this, it's no wonder.

Labels: , , , ,

I'd say that JMS shouldn't quit his day job, but I think there are many of us who wish he would quit his day job.
What gets me is that the comment (I won't honor it by calling is a joke) is not in bad taste or offensive, it's just stupid and yes, not funny.
Geez, and to think I was once a fan of Babble-on (sic) 5...

Don't worry, Thnunumber, I still like you, as I have friends who, too, liked Babylon 5. Heh.

Geez, this makes my recent "Kneel Before Zod" reference look rather dignified. Hah.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Great thoughts, this is one of the best ideas I've ever heard. I will look forward on reading some more of your post.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.