« Home | Scott Lobdell continues to make a mess of Jason Todd » | Making successful creator-owned books doesn't guar... » | Occupy Comics predictably makes police look bad » | What's the point of turning Ms. Marvel into Capt. ... » | North Jersey Record writes about Ralph Macchio » | Garth Ennis goes overboard with Crossed » | Paul Cornell insults One Million Moms while discus... » | Rick Remender shows why reading his X-Force would ... » | Jon Goldwater sugarcoats and boasts about politici... » | British envy American superheroes » 

Sunday, March 25, 2012 

Why must the Ninja Turtles be made part of an alien race?

The movie director Michael Bay is going to produce a new live action take on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the premise he's pitching is irking fans of the famous material:
The 47-year-old director-producer incited outrage among fans of the superhero franchise when he revealed at the Nickelodeon upfront presentation in New York last week that the pizza-loving, crime-fighting turtles would come from an "alien race" in a "Ninja Turtles" film he is producing.

According to franchise lore, mysterious radioactive ooze transformed the turtles into superheroes who battle evildoers.
I think it's a shame that one of the most famous creator owned franchises (though as Peter Laird reminds, he and Kevin Eastman sold the rights away a few years ago) is now being retooled into something that sounds like it owes more than a bit to a 1990s cartoon called "Biker Mice from Mars", which did feature aliens, yet the filmmakers clearly don't have the courage or honesty to go pillage that kind of a production if they really must turn to cartoons as their source of screenwriting.

I personally think Michael Bay's an overrated director, based on his work on the Transformers movies, which weren't that good in retrospect, so I don't see much reason to assume he'd produce a successful movie based on the Ninja Turtles. Mainly because the original 3 movies (and even one later movie from 2007) were nothing to write home about: they were hastily pieced together adventures with uninspired performances, and the best thing about them were the costumes designed by Jim Henson's Muppets division. The TMNT scored big as comics, cartoons, games and toys, but as movies, I think they just went too far exploiting the franchise and milking it for all it's worth. A director like Bay is certainly not fit for working on this kind of classic comic.

Labels: , ,

Indeed, Avi. Michael Bay is a hack and really wrecked Transformers for me. I was a big fan of the Turtles back in my elementary school years although by the time I started watching them the shows were in reruns... it doesn't make any sense at all to make them aliens.

Carl

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.