« Home | The lack of supporting casts is what hurts the Big... » | A more likely reason why DC and Marvel won't reall... » | WSJ's Andrew Klavan impressed with Dark Knight Ris... » | Gary Friedrich has appealed the previous court rul... » | More confirmation that CW's new Green Arrow-based ... » | Rob Liefeld is leaving DC » | Scott Snyder says the Joker will graduate to rape ... » | Marvel canceled a Thanos miniseries » | USA Today's atrocious suggestions for who could re... » | Man of Steel film trailer clip » 

Monday, August 06, 2012 

What If #30, Oct 1991: early leftism from Ron Marz

Here's some scans I took from What If #30 from October 1991, an early writing effort of Ron Marz's:
It features 2 stories in one telling the alternate reality of what might've happened if Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Girl's daughter had lived (several years afterwards, that really did end up happening). The first one, by Jim Valentino, was about what if Sue Storm gave birth to an Alien-style monster that would end up destroying them. The second one, by Marz, tells what if their daughter were born with healing powers. It starts out well enough but then degenerates into a silly political diatribe with Mary Richards, the name of the alternate reality daughter here, taking up the cause of environmentalists, and implying that the oceans as we know them are being polluted by the wealthy. And what was Marz's point of making the president here sound like he's making strange bedfellows with the Kingpin?

I'm amazed he put in the following though, after an imposter disguised as Capt. America (Henry Peter Gyrich) tried to stab her to death and she undergoes self-repairs:
Does Marz know that Abe Lincoln was a Republican?

Overall, this was not the best alternate reality anthology tale I've ever read, but if there's anything it can do, it's to serve as an early example of how in the 1990s, leftism was slowly beginning to get out of hand in mainstream products.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.