« Home | Goldwater Gal interviews Chuck Dixon » | What do British comic writers think of Margaret Th... » | Dan Slott flubs again, and so does Graeme McMillan » | Robert Redford is not - or no longer is - a good c... » | Carmine Infantino, RIP » | Third Iron Man movie script dooming itself with an... » | Graeme McMillan has yet to admit his mistake » | Why should "mutant" suddenly be a negative word fo... » | More about the Steve Jobs manga bio » | What's the point of Neil Gaiman taking his Angela ... » 

Thursday, April 11, 2013 

No Kryptonite is seen in new Superman movie

Yahoo's movie section reports that in Zack Snyder's Superman movie, they didn't include the Man of Steel's most notable weakness: Kryptonite. First, I want to note that I don't like how they describe it in the headline as Superman's "one" weakness, since over 70 years, he's acquired a sufficient number of enemies, both sci-fi and sorcery based, who've given him just as much of a run for his money as Kryptonite can.

Now, what does it say about the omission of the Kryptonian crystals:
"I'll be honest with you, there's no Kryptonite in the movie,” says "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder in April 19/26 issue of Entertainment Weekly, which features Henry Cavill as Superman on the cover.

Not including Kryptonite seems in tune with presenting a more "realistic" Superman in the new film (i.e., he's not afraid of some glowing rocks). Superman has a somewhat enhanced backstory in "Man of Steel" that gives him certain traits designed to bring him down to Earth a little more, so to speak. [...]

"Although he is not susceptible to the frailties of mankind, he is definitely susceptible to the emotional frailties," Cavill says. "It's just a lonely existence."
Well if the movie's a success and there comes a sequel, then we can assume the Kryptonite will be saved for the next adventure. What matters is if they can think of other weaknesses to depict in its stead that are just as effective for posing challenges.

But about the "reality" and emotion: I sure hope this doesn't descend into too much of that for all the wrong reasons, or that it builds those sentiments plausibly enough. I believe it is more than quite possible to build that kind of character drama in the Man of Steel's world, but it all depends on if they know how to avoid political correctness.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.