« Home | If comics are a serious business, is it as materia... » | It may be a good time to read comics, but not with... » | What was the Japanese board of education's real re... » | DC turns Superman into a killer in preludes to For... » | When comics turned political » | 7 Bat-movies that didn't get greenlighted » | Maybe DC's "big news" about Nightwing shouldn't be » | WB's choice of Ben Affleck for playing Batman infu... » | When are the editors more troubling than the writers? » | Letter page from X-Factor 81 » 

Sunday, September 01, 2013 

An interview with Christy Marx that asks no hard questions

The Mary Sue site interviewed the animator Christy Marx - she who was one of the creators of the original template for Firestar/Angelica Jones in 1981's Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends - about her work on the remake of Amethyst in the brief Sword and Sorcery series this year. But they don't have anything to say about the story thread in the premiere involving the attempted rape of a classmate. What does come up in the interview is this:
TMS: Were there any unfinished threads you wished you could have tied up or was there anything you would have done differently if you’d known it wasn’t going to continue past a certain issue?

CM: I had just enough advance warning to wrap up the final issues to the best of my ability. There were many threads I had hoped to spin out quite differently, especially the introductions of Preet/House Turquoise and the sons of House Diamond. I had long-term stories to set those up that had to be cast aside and everything compressed.

I began a thread with the Niyati the female Hunter and had no room to weave it into the final issues. I tried, but there simply wasn’t room for her.

I had many other threads for Houses Ruby, Emerald and Sapphire that I had hoped to get to later in the series.
Did those unfinished threads happen to include the classmate the heroine rescued, which was dropped pretty quick? If they did, there's nary a mention in here, and the interviewer doesn't have the courage to challenge her about it. Too bad. That's just why these kind of fumbles occur in scriptwriting, because nobody has the bravery to bring up the toughest details, which could help future writers get an idea what they'd be better off refraining from using.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.