« Home | Variety thinks Archie should get bloody » | Another gay character in X-Men » | Erik Larsen's atheist side shows up » | Erik Larsen is somebody who couldn't appreciate th... » | "Big changes" do not equal interesting ones » | AV Club gushes over sleazy take on Spider-Man's (a... » | Dan Slott keeps floating around in a bubble » | John Byrne thinks there simply have to be gays fea... » | Bob Hall talks about the Marvel movies » | Anime may have lost some influence in USA » 

Saturday, November 23, 2013 

Dr. Octopus, still disguised as Spider-Man, turns to torture

Bleeding Cool, of all websites, actually called out Marvel for the depiction of torture in Superior Spider-Man Dr. Octopus:
In today's Superior Spider-Man, the character goes a little further. Into full blown Nazi-like torture/experimentation on his victims. By ripping out teeth and fingernails...
So now, through Octopus, they're basically framing Peter Parker as a torturer. This story is actually written by Christos Gage, but it certainly expands on ideas Dan Slott resorted to. Disgusting. It's almost like Marathon Man in reverse, with the good guy in the wrong role.

In fact, I remember that at least a year ago, there was a story written by Slott in #685 where Silver Sable tortured Sandman for information on Doc Ock's whereabouts, and Spidey was quite fine with that. Not only was Spidey made to look awful at the time, the Symkarian bounty hunter was too.

I can only wonder how much longer it'll be before this ends up having a toll on licensed merchandise for Spider-Man (and jeopardizes the potential for Silver Sable to gain expanded appeal too)?

Here's more on the subject at Doug's blog and Hube's.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.