« Home | Nick Cardy, RIP » | Kevin Smith's Comic Book Men series does not help ... » | ScienceFiction.Com pans Kieron Gillen's Iron Man r... » | Old pamphlets may not have much value, and if they... » | Since when were only Metropolis and Gotham importa... » | Brandon Seifert explains why he avoids writing rap... » | AP Wire gets it wrong about Vertigo » | WB plans to move DC to Burbank, CA » | A comic for children with cancer » | Greg Rucka acknowledges mainstream comics went bad... » 

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 

Thor's movie sequel is going to feature 2 major character deaths

It's not good when an overused plot device in comics starts flooding over into the movie adaptations to boot. In an interview with the Huffington Post (via ScienceFiction), Alan Taylor, the director of Thor: The Dark World and a staffer on a few TV series of yore, was willing to tell this to the reporter:
You mentioned death scenes. You have filmed a lot of famous death scenes.

That's funny. I got lucky for a while. After we killed Christopher Moltisanti in "The Sopranos" (that is my favorite death scene, where Tony has a car crash and he kills his own cousin just by pinching his nostrils shut); after doing that, I looked back and I realized that I killed Caesar on "Rome" and Wild Bill Hickok on "Deadwood" and Ned Stark on "Game of Thrones," and I felt like my job was executioner or something. The episode, major things were happening in them and major emotional events are taking place and the scale of the storytelling is really satisfying. And in this one, we got to kill, or sort of kill, two major characters. And that, I think, is part of the darkening of the movie from the first one -- that we were taking on things like that. The idea, in my mind, is that Thor is a character who continues to grow and he's not just a static superhero and, in the first film, he went from being an impetuous prince to being somebody who is more responsible. And, in our film, he continued to grow up and went through the darker phase of growing up where you start to realize the world is more complicated than you thought and what you wanted might not be what you really want. In my mind, when we started calling it "The Dark World," it wasn't just elves -- it was adulthood [that] is the Dark World. And that's what he's growing into and part of that was losing people he loved.
I've grown weary of this gimmick in comics, and to be honest, it doesn't appeal to me at this point in movies either. Characters don't have to be killed in order for the heroes to grow and not be "static". Plus, if the characters for whom the bell tolls are deities, then it's not like they couldn't be resurrected more easily.

Taylor may have gained fame from his TV ventures, but that doesn't mean it all translates well to comic adaptations.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.